Keeping Star San On Hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It stays good for months and months if you use distilled water. If you have hard tap water it can become cloudy and slimey after awhile.

get some Ph strips I think as long as its 3 or under your OK to use it. It does stay good for quite a long time if sealed and stored properly. As for light I am not sure about that because I store in a white plastic bucket.

I buy distilled water for about $1 a gallon and mix directly into the jug. I go through a jug every week or two so I'm not an expert on long term storage, but I have found some odd bottles that I felt were good at 3 months age.

I read somewhere that if the solution was still clear and foamed it was good. I would think BoundForBeer's approach would be best, since the sanitizing is a function of acidity.

I buy distilled water for about $1 a gallon and mix directly into the jug. I go through a jug every week or two so I'm not an expert on long term storage, but I have found some odd bottles that I felt were good at 3 months age.

Same here. That's what I do. I think it's a hair under 6ml for 1gal.

I don't currently have any pH equipment (it's on the list), so I'm wondering what timeframe I can reasonably assume is safe, barring any other data.

For instance, on my brew day I'll fill a spray bottle with Star San (w/tap water) and try to keep it around for maintenance until the batch is done (few weeks or so). From what I understand this is well within the safe zone...but just checking to see if anyone else feels differently.

I make a 5 gallon batch every month just to be safe but it will last for months especially if you use the distilled water like other people have talked about. All you need is Ph strips next time you place a order pick up some only a couple bucks for a whole tube of them. so long in the short you will be fine with using it to see thru that batch of beer.

Back