Keeping beer covered during fermentation???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBRunner

Reaction score
I usually keep my beer covered during fermentation, having read how light can effect the final product.

Do you recommend covering it while in the secondary?

I was just curious.....I usually cover it with a towel, and then throw it in the fridge to crash cool it after a week or so of settling...

Thanks

Chad

Light wont just damage your beer during fermentation, but during any period from the point the hops are added to the point the beer winds up in your stomache.

The reason beer is (usually) bottled in brown bottles is to prevent beer skunking from UV light. if it can be skunked in the bottle and during primary fermentation, it can definitely be skunked in the secondary too. keep it out of the light

I think I read that skunking does not occur until fermentation has started or is over. I think one of the byproducts of fermentation somehow reacts with the alpha acids, or whatever it is from the hops that UV light skunks, and it is not until this reaction between the fermentation byproduct and the hop alpha acids(or whatever) that skunking can occur. I mean, I boil outside in the sun, and my double IPAs would be super skunked if skunking occured during the boiil.

Well that doesnt make much sense, I am druck, I will do some research and post some links if I don't pass out first.

Well, all I can find right now is this thread, where FlyGuy also says that skunking can only occur once fermentation has begun.

But, in any case, and to actually answer the original question, you absolutely want to cover your beer during the secondary. Well, you should always keeps it out of the light. I usually just use a towel and make sure the carboys are completely covered.

Back