Just scored 165 pounds of Maris otter for $120 what should I brew ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrich007

Reaction score
****load of Maris 3oz bravo , 1.5 oz citra , 2.5 chinook and 2.5 cascade and some mangrove jack west coast yeast and us 05 . I'm thinking ipa but never made one strictly with Marisneed some opinions. Thanks

I use Maris otter as the base malt for most of my brews. For a simple IPA I would use around 90% marries otter, 5% crystal 40, and 5% cara pills. Use whatever hops and hop schedule you like.

MO is great for single-malt American hoppy pales IME. I like to straddle the border between APA/IPA with those, so something in the 1.056-1.060 range,1.010-12 FG for ABV around 6%ish, clean yeast, IBU around 55, and lots of late hops. Yummy!

I've used MO quite a bit and I'm of the opinion that it's the flavor of the malt that you want to take center stage so using a bunch of hops really hides that. Everyone has their own tastes of course, but I'd save it for malt forward beers like scotch ale, irish red, or even barleywines and use the cheaper american 2-row for hop forward beers. Just my two cents.

+1 to zoomzilla.

If you're gonna drench the MO with hops you may as well use regular 2-row. That biscuity subtlety gets lost quickly.

Revisited:
Then again, you've got so much of it, better use it up before it goes stale. MO at 2-row price is a good deal.
Store it cool and dry, where bugs and rodents can't get to it.

Last edited:
I'd do a bunch of pale ales with just MO and 5% crystal 40-60. Then I might throw in a dry stout or two and some Scottish ales kept simple would be nice as well. For the Scottish you could use all MO with 2-3% roast barley, mash 155-158 and boil longer than usual to get some caramelization. You should really do at least one SMaSH and a bitter or two.
You have some exciting brewing ahead!

Brew an ESB. Maris Otter or Optic are typically called for in ESB recipes. That light balance of malt and hops should let the Maris shine...

I used 10 lbs MO as the base for a robust porter I made this winter. Delicious.

Maris Otter, english chocolate, crystal 80L. Drinking it right now. Such a good little Porter. The nuttiness makes a great dark-malt beer IMO.

I also vote ESB, but a British IPA or barleywine also would be quite nice!

I love Maris Otter. You can brew anything with it that you would use 2 row for. It has more malt flavor on it's own so you don't have to use as much crystal etc. to get a good malty flavor.

Your list of hops is severely lacking for that amount of MO. Go to http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/ and get some more hops.

Simple pale ales, Ipa's and many other styles can be made with MO.

Brew about five 10 gallon batches of ESB, then ten gallons each of Northern Brown Ale, Porter, Stout. You'll need some Crystal 60-80, Chocolate, Brown, etc. Maybe some Biscuit. +1 on going easy with the hops.

Solid Rock brewery has Dauntless IPA, which is a bit unique and interesting. They use Maris Otter, Munich, and 2-row. Quite nice!

A British Golden Ale (like in the BJCP Strong Bitter category): all MO to 1.055, around 40IBU with late additions and dry hop of a mix of British and American hops (pick three out of EKG, First Gold, Cascade, Liberty, Challenger, Willamette, Amarillo).

I love Maris Otter. You can brew anything with it that you would use 2 row for. It has more malt flavor on it's own so you don't have to use as much crystal etc. to get a good malty flavor.

Your list of hops is severely lacking for that amount of MO. Go to http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/ and get some more hops.

Simple pale ales, Ipa's and many other styles can be made with MO.

John at farmhouse is who got me started brewing and is one of my best friends. That's where I get all my hops(even if I didn't know him his prices are great).
I'm thinking about a bourbon porter and a mild or esb. But I have both kegs full ( American stout and IPA) and 2 of my 3 fermenters filled. Think I'm gonna do bourbon porter , anyone have a good recipe I made one before and it was awesome but am always looking for something new. Thanks for all your feedback.

Sweet! I have a couple favorites:

A Maris Otter lawnmower beer - just use enough to get 1.050, mash at 148 or so, use whatever leftover hops you have to get 25ish IBU, ferment with a clean ale yeast, and it's awesome.

ESBs!

It's a great base for porters and stouts.

AND a couple years ago, I made a 100% MO Barleywine. It's 1.110+, and I boiled it for a little over 3 hours. It's a gorgeous deep amber/red and the flavors are pretty dazzling. (It's still around, two years later. Age makes it really shine.)

Back