White IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnutbrew

Reaction score
Just finished up my brew day with my version of a White IPA.
It was a good day-

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Time: 75 min
Efficiency: 72.00 %
OG: 1.062
FG: 1.014 (Estimated)

8# Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM)
3# Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM)
1# Vienna Malt (Avangard) (3.0 SRM)
.5#Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)

.75oz Chinook (FWH)
.75oz Citra (FWH)
1.5oz Chinook (Whirlpool 170F 30 min)
1.5oz Citra (Whirlpool 170F 30 min)

Yeast: Mangrove Jack M44 - US West Coast

2oz Chinook (Dryhop 6 days)
2oz Citra (Dryhop 6 days)

Did Acid & Protein rests but main Saccharification was 152F for 60min
Added 1tsp Gypsum and 4mil Lactic Acid to achieve 5.21 pH

Fermenting @64F warming to 72F

This is the second time brewing this recipe and my first shot at a White IPA. I poured my last glass of this on NYE 2016 and have never brewed the same beer again this quickly but my friends want more and I can't blame them. I added some invert sugar to late primary the first time but my efficiency came out a little higher this time, thanks impart to my new Milwaukee MW102 PH Meter, so not sure if I will add that in or not this time around.

I cold pitched the yeast slurry. If you tend to let yours warm to room temps before pitching you should research and listen to the advice of those that do not. Since I've been cold pitching I have had less lag time (usually 50% less) and better attenuation every single time.

The M44 has been wonderful and this I'm using now has been harvested twice prior. It usually ferments out in 4-5 days and I would be pushing it to reuse with this OG but have read some posts of notable yeast abusers so I may reclaim it again too. I think it has, with much confidence, replaced S-05 that had been my go to yeast for over 3 years now.

You could probably get this one from grain to glass in 12 days if you were so inclined.

Just finished up my brew day with my version of a White IPA.
It was a good day-

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Time: 75 min
Efficiency: 72.00 %
OG: 1.062
FG: 1.014 (Estimated)

8# Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM)
3# Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM)
1# Vienna Malt (Avangard) (3.0 SRM)
.5#Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)

.75oz Chinook (FWH)
.75oz Citra (FWH)
1.5oz Chinook (Whirlpool 170F 30 min)
1.5oz Citra (Whirlpool 170F 30 min)

Yeast: Mangrove Jack M44 - US West Coast

2oz Chinook (Dryhop 6 days)
2oz Citra (Dryhop 6 days)

Did Acid & Protein rests but main Saccharification was 152F for 60min
Added 1tsp Gypsum and 4mil Lactic Acid to achieve 5.21 pH

Fermenting @64F warming to 72F

This is the second time brewing this recipe and my first shot at a White IPA. I poured my last glass of this on NYE 2016 and have never brewed the same beer again this quickly but my friends want more and I can't blame them. I added some invert sugar to late primary the first time but my efficiency came out a little higher this time, thanks impart to my new Milwaukee MW102 PH Meter, so not sure if I will add that in or not this time around.

I cold pitched the yeast slurry. If you tend to let yours warm to room temps before pitching you should research and listen to the advice of those that do not. Since I've been cold pitching I have had less lag time (usually 50% less) and better attenuation every single time.

The M44 has been wonderful and this I'm using now has been harvested twice prior. It usually ferments out in 4-5 days and I would be pushing it to reuse with this OG but have read some posts of notable yeast abusers so I may reclaim it again too. I think it has, with much confidence, replaced S-05 that had been my go to yeast for over 3 years now.

You could probably get this one from grain to glass in 12 days if you were so inclined.

I've been really curious about this yeast. I have a couple packets in my fridge now. Waiting for the right brew. Thought about doing a small 1 gallon batch but I think I'll just go straight to a full batch. Read good things, and you have confirmed similar. What's your attenuation been for this yeast? How good does it floculate? And most importantly, taste comparison to 05?

I've been really curious about this yeast. I have a couple packets in my fridge now. Waiting for the right brew. Thought about doing a small 1 gallon batch but I think I'll just go straight to a full batch. Read good things, and you have confirmed similar. What's your attenuation been for this yeast? How good does it floculate? And most importantly, taste comparison to 05?

The first I used this I added only 1 rehydrated packet on a 1.056 White IPA and it finished at 1.012. I reclaimed the yeast and dumped the whole thing in an IPA that had OG of 1.058 that right now is at 1.014 but it is in dryhop stage and has about a week left so more than likely it will be at 1.013 when I keg. Both times by an online calculator this puts attenuation around 77% but I kept both at low end of temp range at start of fermentation and I mash at 152. The description boasts of up to 85% but I would guess you'd have to start a little warmer to achieve over 80%. Also I am hoping that my new PH meter allowing me to dial in an accurate measurement during mash will also help my attenuation.

For me it has taken about 4 days to ferment and another 2-3 days to have enough yeast settled out for me to transfer over to secondary and dryhop. I may transfer early but I am always seeking to reuse the yeast and keeping the last couple gravity point drops in secondary helps keep yeast healthy and out of a higher alcohol environment. I have not had to cold crash before kegging.

So far the ones I have brewed are fairly hop forward and have not noticed any real discernible flavor/aroma from the yeast. I do get a hint of sourness from S05 when fermenting higher but again I have yet to do that with this yeast. The description claims even at high end fermentation temps it does not impart much characteristic.

The MJ website claims that due to the drying process their yeast cannot be reused and you should purchase a fresh packet every time. I'm not sure how they think anyone would believe this but I suppose some may. Right now from 1 packet I've brewed 3 batches and still have about 400ml in a mason jar in the basement "All Things Beer" fridge.

About to go down to check on it but it's been just over 12 hours so I bet it's already fermenting away nicely.

This photo is just over 12 hours since I cold pitched yeast.

WIPA 1-17.jpg

This looks nice, but the whole point of a white IPA is to be a cross between a witbier and an IPA, not just to have a high proportion of wheat. If you really want a white IPA, why not go with a yeast choice that's at least in the ballpark?

@derekcw83 This is the IPA with M44 and is exactly 2 weeks since it was brewed. Not sure if pic comes through well but is very clear.

Amarillo IPA 1-17.jpg

This looks nice, but the whole point of a white IPA is to be a cross between a witbier and an IPA, not just to have a high proportion of wheat. If you really want a white IPA, why not go with a yeast choice that's at least in the ballpark?

You would most likely be correct on the choice of yeast. I kinda shoot from the hip a lot and have yet to just copy someones recipe or follow style guidelines to a very strict degree; not saying that's always a good thing. This is a rare occasion for me to brew the exact same recipe this close but it went over so well and the 5 gallon keg was only around for a couple weeks.

I use dry yeast 90% of the time and if you have a suggestion on what may work well I'd love to hear it.

New Belgian had, maybe still has, a white IPA called Accumulation I tried maybe 4 years ago. At that time it was limited edition and was released in the winter. It had some prominent piney notes that floored me. The following winter I saw it again and grabbed up a case of it; no way no how was it the same recipe as it was the previous year.

I've used Northern Brewer, Chinook and Simcoe looking for that up in your face pine flavor/aroma but have yet to find it.

You would most likely be correct on the choice of yeast. I kinda shoot from the hip a lot and have yet to just copy someones recipe or follow style guidelines to a very strict degree; not saying that's always a good thing. This is a rare occasion for me to brew the exact same recipe this close but it went over so well and the 5 gallon keg was only around for a couple weeks.

I use dry yeast 90% of the time and if you have a suggestion on what may work well I'd love to hear it.

New Belgian had, maybe still has, a white IPA called Accumulation I tried maybe 4 years ago. At that time it was limited edition and was released in the winter. It had some prominent piney notes that floored me. The following winter I saw it again and grabbed up a case of it; no way no how was it the same recipe as it was the previous year.

I've used Northern Brewer, Chinook and Simcoe looking for that up in your face pine flavor/aroma but have yet to find it.

So, a couple thoughts.

First off, I definitely don't mean to disparage, and I hope you didn't take it as such. Your brew actually does look really good! Just missing the Belgian wit character of the yeast.

New Belgium's Accumulation, which is now in their winter seasonal lineup, was actually what I figured you were using as a reference, believe it or not. It's a faux white IPA (as in, it's really just a plain IPA with wheat). Not that it matters, really, cause it's darn good. If you like that hop profile, go with Mosaic in one of your future brews, as that's a prominent (if not the only) hop in Accumulation.

I'm hesitant to recommend a dry yeast, since I don't use it much, but I imagine any well reviewed witbier strain would be good!

So, a couple thoughts.

First off, I definitely don't mean to disparage, and I hope you didn't take it as such. Your brew actually does look really good! Just missing the Belgian wit character of the yeast.

New Belgium's Accumulation, which is now in their winter seasonal lineup, was actually what I figured you were using as a reference, believe it or not. It's a faux white IPA (as in, it's really just a plain IPA with wheat). Not that it matters, really, cause it's darn good. If you like that hop profile, go with Mosaic in one of your future brews, as that's a prominent (if not the only) hop in Accumulation.

I'm hesitant to recommend a dry yeast, since I don't use it much, but I imagine any well reviewed witbier strain would be good!

I have a pound of 2016 crop Mosaic in the freezer from my last order from HopsDirect. I've never used this Hop before and looking forward to trying it out. Trying to use all my 2015 crop up first but, yeah, that's not going so well.

I've got a pack of Fermentis WB-06 in the fridge but loosing affection for this company and having better luck with some Mangrove Jack strains.

My LHBS does not carry it but I have purchased a can of Imperial Organic yeast from MoreBeer. They boast 200 bil cell count and may see what they have in a witbier strain.

On NB Accumulation I agree, the first year was superb. The recipe/hopping has since changed. Way more floral than pine. NB.com lists Nugget, Centennial, dry hopped with Mosaic and Amarillo and Ale Yeast for bright, fruity notes.
Maybe the first year had more dank centennial. I love centennial but have noticed a pretty big difference from crop to crop. Founder centennial IPA was once one of my favorites but this last year or two has been more floral than dank/pine, to my tongue anyhow.
In my brewing with centennial, I like it earlier in the boil. Seems that some of the floral compounds maybe boil off.

On yeast, grab a glass gallon jug and do a separate ferment with a Belgian strain next time and see what you think. Ive done a couple Belgian IPAs with dry yeast and have preferred safbrew abbaye(now BE-256) The peppery flavors are more in check compared to others I tried(lallemand abbaye, t58) and it exhibits a bit more fruit. It also drops like a rock, converse to some wit stains. I fermented it in the low-mid 60s to keep the esters in check. There's a lot of sulfur at first, but goes away after a few weeks.

Have you considered trying white wheat?

On NB Accumulation I agree, the first year was superb. The recipe/hopping has since changed. Way more floral than pine. NB.com lists Nugget, Centennial, dry hopped with Mosaic and Amarillo and Ale Yeast for bright, fruity notes.
Maybe the first year had more dank centennial. I love centennial but have noticed a pretty big difference from crop to crop. Founder centennial IPA was once one of my favorites but this last year or two has been more floral than dank/pine, to my tongue anyhow.
In my brewing with centennial, I like it earlier in the boil. Seems that some of the floral compounds maybe boil off.

On yeast, grab a glass gallon jug and do a separate ferment with a Belgian strain next time and see what you think. Ive done a couple Belgian IPAs with dry yeast and have preferred safbrew abbaye(now BE-256) The peppery flavors are more in check compared to others I tried(lallemand abbaye, t58) and it exhibits a bit more fruit. It also drops like a rock, converse to some wit stains. I fermented it in the low-mid 60s to keep the esters in check. There's a lot of sulfur at first, but goes away after a few weeks.

Have you considered trying white wheat?

Glad to hear someone else noticing the change in NB recipes. I've noticed they've done that with some of their other brews including Fat Tire. I've given up on that company.

I've used the T-58. I had great attenuation, which many posted of poor performance, but I was not very happy with the flavor. I have some harvested M47 and soon also M31 both from Mangrove Jack. Also have some WLP670 that needs to find it's way into a brew soon.

I love centennial and went all last year without any. I actually have centennial and cascade hop vines at my house but last years spring/summer drought all but wiped them out. Not even sure they'll come back this spring but fingers crossed. I did buy a pound this year and will get into it soon. I get more flower/dank than pine from it so still on my search for the hardcore pine, maybe warrior? idk

I use Rebel Brewer but on a whim and a Sunday I went to All Seasons and got 20# of white (or pale) wheat, at least that's what I asked for but it sure has an awfully red color. I'm not experienced enough to know the difference but color always comes out darker than I'd like. (attached pic)

Anyway I see you're from Nashville so double :mug: to that! I've been to one Music City Brewers meeting a couple years ago and I should frequent it regularly.

IMG_0193.jpg

Glad to hear someone else noticing the change in NB recipes. I've noticed they've done that with some of their other brews including Fat Tire. I've given up on that company.

I've used the T-58. I had great attenuation, which many posted of poor performance, but I was not very happy with the flavor. I have some harvested M47 and soon also M31 both from Mangrove Jack. Also have some WLP670 that needs to find it's way into a brew soon.

I love centennial and went all last year without any. I actually have centennial and cascade hop vines at my house but last years spring/summer drought all but wiped them out. Not even sure they'll come back this spring but fingers crossed. I did buy a pound this year and will get into it soon. I get more flower/dank than pine from it so still on my search for the hardcore pine, maybe warrior? idk

I use Rebel Brewer but on a whim and a Sunday I went to All Seasons and got 20# of white (or pale) wheat, at least that's what I asked for but it sure has an awfully red color. I'm not experienced enough to know the difference but color always comes out darker than I'd like. (attached pic)

Anyway I see you're from Nashville so double :mug: to that! I've been to one Music City Brewers meeting a couple years ago and I should frequent it regularly.

Yeah. Up north of town, Goodlettsville. Rebel is 12 minutes away so they're definitely my go to. All seasons is nicer to look at and has better hours but I feel like everyone there just can't be bothered spending much time with you. I've hooked up with a couple other local brewers but never made it to a club meet. Not enough days in the week. I'm doing mostly bulk hops online and bulk grain when I can get in on a buy but still use Rebel for odds and ends, yeast and specialty grains. Tom is a stand up guy and I always try to support him when I can.

Back