American IPA Roll Tribe IPA triple hopped partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days 68 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days room temp
Tasting Notes
Very malty
I've been toying with Yoopers APA recipe for a few months and decided to make an extract recipe that included the same grains. This was my first from scratch recipe ever. Drank a few of these now and the extract version is VERY malty with a nice balance of hops. Has a tangy citrus back note from the cascade/citra. Works great with the extra hops I threw in to make it an IPA. Will hopefully be brewing the all grain real Yooper version sometime soon!

For anyone that's curious here's the extract recipe I used

OG 1.059
FG 1.011
IBU 42.4

Fermentables
1.5 lb Dry Malt Extract - Light 60min
4.5 lb Dry Malt Extract - Light Flameout

Steeping Grains
0.25 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 20L
0.9 lb American - Vienna
0.6 lb American - Munich - Light 10L
0.25 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 60L
1 lb United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale

I ditched the Muslin bag for this and ended up getting one of these

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-...trainers-Fits-Container-Size-5-Gallon/1008387

Hops
.25 oz Galaxy 60min
.25 oz Galaxy 30min
.25 oz Cascade 15min
.5 oz Cascade 5min
.5 oz Citra 5min

Dry hop the following in the secondary for 5 days
.5 oz Citra
.5 oz Galaxy

Yeast
Rehydrated packet of Safale US-05

Extra
1 whirlfloc tablet 15min (I did this but probably wouldn't again because the beer gets hazy with the hop oils in the dry hop stage)

Mini mashed for one hour at 150 with the steeping grains. Used a gallon of water. Sparged with another gallon and a half or so of 170 to get it up to 2.5 gallons for the boil. Did an addition of 1.5 LBs light DME for the 60 minute boil and 4.5 LB's at Flame out.

Bottle carbed for 3 weeks and carbed to 2.6 volumes using a priming solution of 2 cups water and table sugar. Boiled for ten minutes, covered and let cool to room temp. Here is the calculator I used https://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

I will say the head retention and lacing on this batch is out of this world! Will grab a few pics tonight and post those! Happy brewing!

Here's some pics!

20170902_210150.jpg

20170915_183329.jpg

Back