Just not ready to drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceg

Reaction score
I did a taste test on my home brew Vienna Lager today.
I think a better wait a little longer before drinking.

2010-02-09-022.jpg

Vienna? It looks a little dark for a Vienna. Did you intend to brew to style?
This is Mr. Beer Octoberfest's Vienna Lager.
91-LRG.jpg

I am not sure why it doesn't look the same. Could be because it was old.

I think that label says "Oktoberfest"...too dark for that also.

Do yourself a GREAT big favor and ditch the LME. Switch to DME at least and your brews will be more to style as far as color os concerned. ;)
Thanks, but I will make these LMEs when I find them cheap. :mug:

I am still doing research on what I want to do from scratch. We use to make some good beers years ago and I hope to again someday. I just have been out of it for awhile. I am learning all over again. Thanks to this forum I have learned a lot of stuff I never knew of before.
:rockin:

Won't be long before you have the hang of it Ceg.

No different than me starting out on my first real offroad trail, looking at some big muddy hill and thinking there was no way in heck I was going to make it, esp after going at it three times. It took time, but it worked.

(Think that hill on Naches with the big stump on the right).

Beer is a lot like off-roading.

You keep spending more and more money, and keep doing more extreme things.

Won't be long before you have the hang of it Ceg.

No different than me starting out on my first real offroad trail, looking at some big muddy hill and thinking there was no way in heck I was going to make it, esp after going at it three times. It took time, but it worked.

(Think that hill on Naches with the big stump on the right).

Beer is a lot like off-roading.

You keep spending more and more money, and keep doing more extreme things.
Thanks for the encouragement. Just looking around here most people have a lot of equipment I have never seen. Years ago we were brewing out of six gallon buckets and cooking over the stove. (The old brew making kits is still parked and dusty. Right now I am running open difs and street tires in the brew making world. I am sure the upgraded will come. :D)

Yup. That's how it starts.

I actually got into it way over my head and scaled back. (Discovering the sport of off-roading didn't help either).

As much as I like making beer, I'd almost rather be running a trail somewhere.

Just signed up at your forum. Can't be a member of too many forums can you?

Yup. That's how it starts.

I actually got into it way over my head and scaled back. (Discovering the sport of off-roading didn't help either).

As much as I like making beer, I'd almost rather be running a trail somewhere.

Just signed up at your forum. Can't be a member of too many forums can you?
Right on! :mug:

Unless you are brewing for competition, I would not worry about color. (although I do prefer DME to LME for other reasons). As long as the process is sound, you will make good beer. You can always start "tweaking" that process and worrying about color when it matters to other people.

Unless you are brewing for competition, I would not worry about color. (although I do prefer DME to LME for other reasons). As long as the process is sound, you will make good beer. You can always start "tweaking" that process and worrying about color when it matters to other people.

No matter what I do to my beer, it always comes out yellow in the end.

Yeah the color does not matter to me. I will be drinking most of the beer I make until I can find one that my friends might try. Most of them drink Coors Light, Bud and those type beers.

This is Mr. Beer Octoberfest's Vienna Lager.
91-LRG.jpg

I am not sure why it doesn't look the same. Could be because it was old.
I guess it is old. It is labeled different than the picture above off the Mr. Beer site.
2010-02-11-003.jpg

I started with Mr. Beer. After the first batch that came with the kit, it was so ridiculously expensive to get more shipped to Hawaii that I started doing extract batches.

I wonder if some of those Mr. Beer recipes are actually good.

That was one of a three pack. It was on sale at ShopKo and I think I got that 3 pack for around $10. I had it for awhile but I think less than a year. It may have been longer. The Booster was hard. Oh well it is drinkable. We will see how these next two we just made come out.

Back