Just looking for 2 vessel brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just moved from doing a 3 vessel Herms for 8years to a full volume mash, 2 vessel. Really like it. Been doing overnight mashed too. I heat my strike water up in my bk, 10 gallons at a time. I add my grain to mt, then fill with the first 10 gallons from the bk. I fill from the bottom on the mash tun. Water temp around 170 to make 154 mash. I add the rest of the strike to the bk and heat. I add that to the mash when heated, 25-35 mins. I use electric so pretty easy to do. For overnight, cover mash with 5 comforters. Only drop 10 degrees overnight. Morning drain, bocanil as normal.
Can you tell the difference between when you over night mash.. I have read this before. I have done it because I started way to late and just mashed in put the lid and finish the next morning...do you use a bag in the mash tun

Thanks to all for responding.. I will continue to chase information on two vessel brewing. I want to explain why I'm doing this first I am a e Brewer with two vessels using a brew in a bag method now while some use the mash tun slash cooler I use the mash tun in a Brew kettle. It was inspired from The Brew Brutus 20 that the cross circulation is what I was after to see how others have been doing it and ask a question why to see if they use a bag to see if the bag takes more or less time better or less in there Brew day. And also to see in there Brew day if they can Brew to the capacity of the main Brew kettle thank you beer troll out

Can you tell the difference between when you over night mash.. I have read this before. I have done it because I started way to late and just mashed in put the lid and finish the next morning...do you use a bag in the mash tun
No bag, I have a nice false bottom. Beer taste great, kegging an hazy ipa tonight, similar to a recipe I did in my herms. Looking forward. I think there is less bite, I believe I was over extracting with my herms.

I brewed for years with a 100l kettle and a 10 gallon cooler mash tun.
I used a stainless mesh in the tun.
Heat strike water in the kettle.
Mash in.
Heat sparge water in the kettle.
Sparge and draw off into buckets until the sparge water is used up.
Dump the bucketed wort into the kettle and finish the sparge.
Boil away.
I was doing 15 gallons typically.
Are you transfering into 15 keg fermenter . Transfer into 15 seving keg

I just moved from doing a 3 vessel Herms for 8years to a full volume mash, 2 vessel. Really like it. Been doing overnight mashed too. I heat my strike water up in my bk, 10 gallons at a time. I add my grain to mt, then fill with the first 10 gallons from the bk. I fill from the bottom on the mash tun. Water temp around 170 to make 154 mash. I add the rest of the strike to the bk and heat. I add that to the mash when heated, 25-35 mins. I use electric so pretty easy to do. For overnight, cover mash with 5 comforters. Only drop 10 degrees overnight. Morning drain, boil as normal.
Are you doing a full volume with the two vessel?

Are you doing a full volume with the two vessel?
Yes, bk is a keggle, mash tun was a 20 gallon pot. Filled to rim was full volumn mash for 10g batch. Just got a 25 gallon concord and soldered in the fittings, will make for more wiggle room. Since my bk is only 15 gallons, I have to heat mash water up in two batches. Might upgrade to a matching 25 gallon bk now I got my silver soldering skills honed in.

Kegged my ne hazey ipa tonight, much better mouthfeel than herms batches. Creamy like. Think this full volume mash got merit

Yes, bk is a keggle, mash tun was a 20 gallon pot. Filled to rim was full volumn mash for 10g batch. Just got a 25 gallon concord and soldered in the fittings, will make for more wiggle room. Since my bk is only 15 gallons, I have to heat mash water up in two batches. Might upgrade to a matching 25 gallon bk now I got my silver soldering skills honed in.

Kegged my ne hazey ipa tonight, much better mouthfeel than herms batches. Creamy like. Think this full volume mash got merit
You are tasting the difference between herms and the heating element.?

I am on the chase for two vessel brewers. I would like to read about your brew day and process.

60sqftbrewhouse
Apr 16, 2017
Posted Today at 10:19 AM
Beer troll coach
1. First cup of espresso
2. Grind more home roasted coffee beans for second shot espresso
3. Tip up vessels as they are laid on side when not in use
4. Hook up sk/Bk ,cam lock, bottom valve to inlet on the pump,inlet side is on bottom,,all valves are closed
5. Add 5 gallon on starsan.,hook up hose to pump outlet side ,hose is not hooked up
6. Prime pump put outlet hose in catch bucket, open valve on bk,open valve at pump,,there should be liquid flowing freely in to bucket,turn off all valves ,hook up hose for recirculation
7. I attacth all the connections to the Control Panel..Connect Control panel to main gfci spa panel
8. Turn on bk pump for recirculation, check for leaks
9. Turn on heat for bk..ezboil,,mash mode
10. Starsan for 10 minutes
11. Turn off heat and pump ,turn off valves ,unhook hose on the vessel top in recirculation,
12 . Drain all star san into fermenting precleaned vessel

Latest posts

Back