Just looking for 2 vessel brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4of7

60sqftbrewhouse
Reaction score
I am on the chase for two vessel brewers. I would like to read about your brew day and process.

IMG_20180311_163342.jpg

Big texas thank you to lonnie mac for the brutus 20..He inspired me with his vid..this my brew rig

I start with full volume of water. Heat to mash in temp and pump into cooler. Recirculate and drain. Fire on and boil. Simple and effective. Minimal equipment needed.

I start with full volume of water. Heat to mash in temp and pump into cooler. Recirculate and drain. Fire on and boil. Simple and effective. Minimal equipment needed.
Do use a grain bag in the cooler?

Looks very portable..do you use a grain bag in the top vessel?

No, I do not use a grain bag in top vessel. Don’t really think that would be useful.

I have the 20G Gas BrewEasy (2 30G kettles). I brew 15G batches. Never really needed to do 20G tech but I could if i wanted.

My brew day is 7hrs from the time I step into my garage and the time i sit into my recliner with a beer in hand. I spend about 90min the night before milling grain and prepping fermenters (i use 3 good old fashioned 6.5 G buckets.)

I love that i have a 1/2bbl brewery that takes up 2x2 sq ft in my garage...I love this.

BrewEasy is not for everyone but it’s right for me.

Why are you interested in 2 vessel? Knowing what your priorities are would help

10 gallon cooler with a false bottom and a 10 gallon SS kettle electric kettle configured as a constant re-circulation direct fired mash system ala jKarp and Lonnie Mac. 24 v mini pumps for circulation. Electric kettle is driven by a 3000W 120V WH element. I do 5.5 to 6 gallon batches with low 70s lautering efficiency's. Taken some ribbons with this setup.

10 gallon cooler with a false bottom and a 10 gallon SS kettle electric kettle configured as a constant re-circulation direct fired mash system ala jKarp and Lonnie Mac. 24 v mini pumps for circulation. Electric kettle is driven by a 3000W 120V WH element. I do 5.5 to 6 gallon batches with low 70s lautering efficiency's. Taken some ribbons with this setup.
Do you use a baig in the cooler? How is jkarp different lonnie? When did set this up ?

No, I do not use a grain bag in top vessel. Don’t really think that would be useful.

I have the 20G Gas BrewEasy (2 30G kettles). I brew 15G batches. Never really needed to do 20G tech but I could if i wanted.

My brew day is 7hrs from the time I step into my garage and the time i sit into my recliner with a beer in hand. I spend about 90min the night before milling grain and prepping fermenters (i use 3 good old fashioned 6.5 G buckets.)

I love that i have a 1/2bbl brewery that takes up 2x2 sq ft in my garage...I love this.

BrewEasy is not for everyone but it’s right for me.

Why are you interested in 2 vessel? Knowing what your priorities are would help
So really your brew day total time is 8.5..Do you use a biab on the top vessel?How much grain are you milling for the 15 gallon? Is it a plug and play setup that you like about it?

Nope. I use stainless braid. I really should add an inner support to the braid but it works as is.

4hrs or so. I don’t really time it. Doing projects in the yard or running the smoker. I check on the brew when it’s ‘about time’.

Like braccionciere I'm currently using two vessels + a fermenter for hot liquor. My brew setup changes regularly so this is my current setup only.

Strike water into mash tun. Heat via RIMS recirculation.
At the same time, crush grains.
At the same time, heat sparge water in boil kettle.
All other brew day prep (washing and sanitising etc.) goes on while water is heating.
Mash in after about 45 minutes of water heating.
Typically 75 min mash with two batch sparges.
Sparge water is boiling well before mash is finished - plate chiller is in the boiling water which sanitises it. Once it has cooled to about 90C, I transfer it to a fermenter, which also sanitises the fermenter.
Batch sparge is quick - about 45 mins after finishing mash, wort is at a boil.
60 minute boil (sometimes 45), 5 minutes to chill with plate chiller. Another hour to mess around and clean up.
Total brew day is about 5.5 hours.

I brewed for years with a 100l kettle and a 10 gallon cooler mash tun.
I used a stainless mesh in the tun.
Heat strike water in the kettle.
Mash in.
Heat sparge water in the kettle.
Sparge and draw off into buckets until the sparge water is used up.
Dump the bucketed wort into the kettle and finish the sparge.
Boil away.
I was doing 15 gallons typically.

So really your brew day total time is 8.5..Do you use a biab on the top vessel?How much grain are you milling for the 15 gallon? Is it a plug and play setup that you like about it?

I do not use a BIAB. The BE is a no sparge, kettle RIMS system. No bags. Top vessel has your standard false bottom.

Yes, 8.5 hrs. I’m a bad example to use in determining the time for a BE brew day for several reasons...

1. I’m honest. I’m not hedging in order to gain others approval or admiration of my process. It is what it is.
2. I prep the evening before so i can sip coffee and watch the sun come up with my Dad while water comes to strike. Others choose to be productive during this time...yay.
3. I am fortunate to not need to rush...very fortunate. One of the reasons I went to 15G was to increase supply w/o increasing brewing frequency. I love to brew but cant do it every other weekend.....yet. :) I get up about 6:30 and in the garage at 7:00 to start. As long as I’m done in time to light the grill for dinner then I don’t care. I do this every 4th or 5th Sunday...it’s all I do on this day....and my family supports me in that.
4. Every step milling, heating, mashing, chilling, and cleaning could be shortened in my process ... there’s no doubt. If that’s what you’re intersted in i would go to the BE thread on this site and survey other BE users who optimize around time.

Yes, I like that it’s plug and play but what I LOVE is that I can do 20G batches and my equip takes up a 2’x2’ sq ft in my garage...that’s what I love. This let me match the frequency of when i can brew w/ the need to keep a solid supply going. I will also say that I was in the right place at the right time when I picked this system up for a very very good price. Brand new this is a very expensive outfit...unlikely I would have ever been able to justify $$ for a new one but I’m sure loving the one i have.

My grain bills are usually around 40lbs. Most of my beers are 6-7%abv and I’m heating about 25G of water to strike on brew day. I run 69-72% eff on my BE...it’s no sparge so if you like chasing 80% eff then move along...there’s nothing to see here.

Cheers!

You may as well include the Grain Farther and it's derivatives, just because one vessel is hidden inside the other doesn't mean it's not there.

So you could reasonably call it 2 vessel.

Aamcle

No bag. JKarp is an implementation of Lonnie Mac's concept called the Brutus 20. Set it up 5 years ago as interim system on the way to a 3 vessel gravity system but decided that the compact nature of this system fit the bill and made respectable beer.

Do you use a baig in the cooler? How is jkarp different lonnie? When did set this up ?

I do not use a BIAB. The BE is a no sparge, kettle RIMS system. No bags. Top vessel has your standard false bottom.

Yes, 8.5 hrs. I’m a bad example to use in determining the time for a BE brew day for several reasons...

1. I’m honest. I’m not hedging in order to gain others approval or admiration of my process. It is what it is.
2. I prep the evening before so i can sip coffee and watch the sun come up with my Dad while water comes to strike. Others choose to be productive during this time...yay.
3. I am fortunate to not need to rush...very fortunate. One of the reasons I went to 15G was to increase supply w/o increasing brewing frequency. I love to brew but cant do it every other weekend.....yet. :) I get up about 6:30 and in the garage at 7:00 to start. As long as I’m done in time to light the grill for dinner then I don’t care. I do this every 4th or 5th Sunday...it’s all I do on this day....and my family supports me in that.
4. Every step milling, heating, mashing, chilling, and cleaning could be shortened in my process ... there’s no doubt. If that’s what you’re intersted in i would go to the BE thread on this site and survey other BE users who optimize around time.

Yes, I like that it’s plug and play but what I LOVE is that I can do 20G batches and my equip takes up a 2’x2’ sq ft in my garage...that’s what I love. This let me match the frequency of when i can brew w/ the need to keep a solid supply going. I will also say that I was in the right place at the right time when I picked this system up for a very very good price. Brand new this is a very expensive outfit...unlikely I would have ever been able to justify $$ for a new one but I’m sure loving the one i have.

My grain bills are usually around 40lbs. Most of my beers are 6-7%abv and I’m heating about 25G of water to strike on brew day. I run 69-72% eff on my BE...it’s no sparge so if you like chasing 80% eff then move along...there’s nothing to see here.

Cheers!
Thanks.sounds like you got a great deal... this post thread was and is for more information.. I am asking not bashing..nor am I judging, I if you look at my other threads you will understand . I really looks like you have it dial in.. How are you move 40 lb of wet grain.and again thank you for your reply

Attachments

• IMG_20170926_192805.jpg
    IMG_20170926_192805.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
Thanks.sounds like you got a great deal... this post thread was and is for more information.. I am asking not bashing..nor am I judging, I if you look at my other threads you will understand . I really looks like you have it dial in.. How are you move 40 lb of wet grain.and again thank you for your reply

No bashing perceived at all and please know I wasn’t being defensive. I just didn’t want you to make a summary conclusion on BE based on my experience. Especially if time is a critical factor for you...it’s just not an element I focus on so I’m a baaaaaad example. :)

All good here brother!

If you look close behind my rig you will see a step ladder. I just grab 2 5G bucket and scoop out the grains from top vessel with a 1G plastic pitcher after mash out. I’m 6’2” and can then lift the top vessel off while standing on the floor and set the kettle down on the floor w/o to much trouble by myself but usually I’ll have a buddy or get 1 one of the kids to come out and help take it off.

I would not advocate for the 30G kettles unless you are regularly doing 15 or 20G batches. The 30G kettles are right on the edge of what a person wants to deal with alone.

Worst thing about BE? That’s easy to answer....at least on the gas system. It’s that darn alarm whistle that goes off every time the pid lites the burner during the mash....annoying as heck.

Cheers!
I was thinking about buying that set up as well but in 15. I brew 10 gallon batches

No bag. JKarp is an implementation of Lonnie Mac's concept called the Brutus 20. Set it up 5 years ago as interim system on the way to a 3 vessel gravity system but decided that the compact nature of this system fit the bill and made respectable beer.
Got any pics

Like braccionciere I'm currently using two vessels + a fermenter for hot liquor. My brew setup changes regularly so this is my current setup only.

Strike water into mash tun. Heat via RIMS recirculation.
At the same time, crush grains.
At the same time, heat sparge water in boil kettle.
All other brew day prep (washing and sanitising etc.) goes on while water is heating.
Mash in after about 45 minutes of water heating.
Typically 75 min mash with two batch sparges.
Sparge water is boiling well before mash is finished - plate chiller is in the boiling water which sanitises it. Once it has cooled to about 90C, I transfer it to a fermenter, which also sanitises the fermenter.
Batch sparge is quick - about 45 mins after finishing mash, wort is at a boil.
60 minute boil (sometimes 45), 5 minutes to chill with plate chiller. Another hour to mess around and clean up.
Total brew day is about 5.5 hours.
My brew set up just got upgraded two years ago after a long time on the stove.. How many different set ups have you tried?

My brew set up just got upgraded two years ago after a long time on the stove.. How many different set ups have you tried?

All of my setups are home-made - for me half the fun is building a system myself. I was fortunately given several 50L kegs early in my brewing journey (all legitimate - written off by the brewery) so have them cut in different ways for different purposes. I've had a few variations of Cooler Mash tun, BIAB single pot with recirculation (heated on stove top), three vessel HERMS, No sparge direct heated recirulated mash tun, and currently RIMS.

All of my setups are home-made - for me half the fun is building a system myself. I was fortunately given several 50L kegs early in my brewing journey (all legitimate - written off by the brewery) so have them cut in different ways for different purposes. I've had a few variations of Cooler Mash tun, BIAB single pot with recirculation (heated on stove top), three vessel HERMS, No sparge direct heated recirulated mash tun, and currently RIMS.
Do you have any favorite yet? I ferment in a 50l..

Cheers!
I sure that it adds time to your Brew day when your batches are 15 gallon... must have a lot of fermentation vessels

I sure that it adds time to your Brew day when your batches are 15 gallon... must have a lot of fermentation vessels
I probably have 6 fermenters or so but I only need 3. I don’t brew beers that require long time in fermenter. I keg my beers at 3 weeks and since I’m brewing every 4/5 weeks I rarely have more than 3 fermenters in service at any one time. I have 9 kegs...that’s usually the thing that throttles my brewing. 9 kegs is enough beer for me to have on hand at any given time. :)

I’ve been tempted to get more kegs but my experience has been that once I transfer from fermenter to keg I need to keep the beer cold or some off flavors start to develop. So gettin more kegs would mean a larger keezer or another freezer to “lagger” my stock.

If I buy another fridge/freezer for beer my wife says I have to sleep in it.

Yes ,like somebody give the mash a stir.. thanks

........and then this guy shows up with a voice control rig and made us all look like hacks....sheesh
Ha! It has to all work first! (and at that, I hope it adds some fun to the brew day and doesn't end up too gimicky)

I just moved from doing a 3 vessel Herms for 8years to a full volume mash, 2 vessel. Really like it. Been doing overnight mashed too. I heat my strike water up in my bk, 10 gallons at a time. I add my grain to mt, then fill with the first 10 gallons from the bk. I fill from the bottom on the mash tun. Water temp around 170 to make 154 mash. I add the rest of the strike to the bk and heat. I add that to the mash when heated, 25-35 mins. I use electric so pretty easy to do. For overnight, cover mash with 5 comforters. Only drop 10 degrees overnight. Morning drain, boil as normal.

Back