just getting interested in kegging...need some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabwright

Reaction score
We have been bottling since around October, have about 5 brews bottled at this point. Starting to look into the needed equipment to start kegging. Hoping ya'll can shed some light on what we need to look for and how much we should look at spending. Any ideas on where would be a good place to look for equipment? Thanks so much...can't wait to get started! You guys have been so helpful on here...very grateful for all your insight! ;)

Basics...

Picnic (cobra) tap.
Kegs (ball or pin)
Ball or pin-lock connectors.
CO2 tank
6-10ft of 3/8" hose for liquid, and whatever hose you can find for gas.

Now...if you do it with the above parts, you won't need to worry about drilling through a fridge, or buying a kegerator. If you want to go the kegerator route, then you'll need faucets, shanks, and depending on the fridge you're converting, a tower.

Look around at the more reputable kegging sites and you can find pretty competitive pricing. I think kegkits.com is the one that sells to most of the people on here, but I could be wrong. I never searched for pricing.

I buy all of my keg related equipment from micromatic.com They're prices are a little more expensive, but the quality is top notch.

Welcome to kegging!

I have this exact system http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brew-logic-dual-tap-draft-system-with-reconditioned-co2-tank.html

It comes with the appropriate equipment to start kegging. And for $200 I didn't think it was too bad of a deal. I'm sure you could shop around and save a bit, but it's easy to get it all at once if the cost is not a major issue.

I managed to stuff the two kegs and gas tank in a mini/dorm fridge (I did bend the cooling unit down to make room) and I built the "Ebay Aquarium Temp Controller" (search for that in this forum) to temp control the fridge. I assume I'll eventually build a keezer with a collar and faucets. But for now it's easy enough to open the door and grab a picnic tap.

Watch out though, I've found that kegged beer goes much quicker than bottled beer... Get that pipeline going!

Welcome to kegging!

I have this exact system http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brew-logic-dual-tap-draft-system-with-reconditioned-co2-tank.html

It comes with the appropriate equipment to start kegging. And for $200 I didn't think it was too bad of a deal. I'm sure you could shop around and save a bit, but it's easy to get it all at once if the cost is not a major issue.

I managed to stuff the two kegs and gas tank in a mini/dorm fridge (I did bend the cooling unit down to make room) and I built the "Ebay Aquarium Temp Controller" (search for that in this forum) to temp control the fridge. I assume I'll eventually build a keezer with a collar and faucets. But for now it's easy enough to open the door and grab a picnic tap.

Watch out though, I've found that kegged beer goes much quicker than bottled beer... Get that pipeline going!

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but i just got nearly the same setup. I was wondering if you had any issues with the length of hose that came with kit or did you buy longer beer lines.

I haven't had any issues with the length that comes with the kit. I am (for now) using the picnic taps that came with the keg and I do not have the taps much higher than the kegs so there isn't much in the way of static resistance.

You would want your kegging system to be balanced in terms of the applied pressure supplied by your CO2 tank and the combined static and dynamic resistance. Temperature is also a factor, just to complicate things...

Static resistance is provided by gravity. If you measure the vertical distance from the keg to the dispensing point, you get approximately 1/2 lb of pressure per foot.

Dynamic resistance is essentially the resistance provided by the tubing. 3/16" beer line gives ~3 lbs of resistance per foot of tubing.

Hopefully this makes sense. It's all just a balancing act :)

Another member on this forum made a kick ass excel spreadsheet that allows you to plug in all of your parameters and it calculates the ideal line length and pressure to use. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/beer-line-length-pressure-calculator-35369/

I guess it all boils down to how ellaborate you want to get and how much you want to spend. My only word of warning is be careful, because you can drop some serious cash quickly if your not careful! I am nearing completion of my rustic keezer build and what was "supposed to" cost me around $600 for a 3 tap system has doubled. :drunk: I am very please with how my build is turning out, but if you read too many threads on keezer/kegerator builds on HBT.....these guys will seriously get you into trouble with your bank account! There are so many wonderful ideas and ellaborate, technologically advanced builds on this site that it's easy to continually make things more ellaborate and blow your budget out of the water....I'm living proof!

If you start getting into a keezer build instead of a kegorator, you will have to purchase a temp. controller. If you go with a coffin top keezer, you then have to consider cooling your beer lines and shanks, which if you incorporate fans like I did, will cost you more. You also have to consider your kegging system....how many taps?, do you want Perlick front seal taps? do you want stainless steel components? how many kegs?, do you need a dual body regulator? or a mutiport manifold?, what size CO2 tank?, etc, etc. Like I said, it all boils down to what you want and what your budget can withstand. It's like anythink else.....you can go as simple or as ellaborate as you want. Check out my thread if you want to see something that is a little more over the top. :D

I ordered my kegging equipment yesterday from kegconnection.com and I went with their basic 3 tap system with 3 kegs included ($363.95) with a sh*tload of upgrades. I upgraded to 3 Perlick 525ss faucets, a dual body regulator, a 3 way manifold (so I can support a 4th "on deck keg" or carb. something at a different level), a 4th keg, the hosing/clamps/etc. to support the 4th keg. My order came to $503.74 total. In my research so far, kegconnection.com had the best prices and their flat rate ($7.95) shipping is great. Can't wait to get my components and wrap this thing up!

Good luck with whatever you go with....as long as it dispenses cold, carbonated beer you'll be all set! :mug:

We have been bottling since around October, have about 5 brews bottled at this point. Starting to look into the needed equipment to start kegging. Hoping ya'll can shed some light on what we need to look for and how much we should look at spending. Any ideas on where would be a good place to look for equipment? Thanks so much...can't wait to get started! You guys have been so helpful on here...very grateful for all your insight! ;)

I went with Kegconnection on their black friday sale this past November. I got about 5 batches bottled before I made up my mind that the next batch of beer I made was going to be kegged because I hated it so much. The kit was about 4-500 bucks and was good for making a 4-tap keezer out of a 200 buck freezer from HD. That build was 60 for the temp controller and about 40-50 bucks for a pine board (that split with a nail about 8 times, get better wood than pine...), can of white spray paint, styrofoam, and screws/handles/metal plates, and a tube of caulk. You can do it cheaper if you want, but I hate re-buying things so I just dropped the money up front. Glad I did every time I walk by or up to it.

You can't help but smile when you pour a pint off to yourself.

Hey Juice, Do you have a thread of your keezer build? If so, send me a link. I love reading through these things. Sounds like you have a very similar set up to me. All of my kegging equipment will be here next week, so I'm nearing completion on my build. Can't wait to get her up and running! :rockin:

I went with Kegconnection on their black friday sale this past November. I got about 5 batches bottled before I made up my mind that the next batch of beer I made was going to be kegged because I hated it so much. The kit was about 4-500 bucks and was good for making a 4-tap keezer out of a 200 buck freezer from HD. That build was 60 for the temp controller and about 40-50 bucks for a pine board (that split with a nail about 8 times, get better wood than pine...), can of white spray paint, styrofoam, and screws/handles/metal plates, and a tube of caulk. You can do it cheaper if you want, but I hate re-buying things so I just dropped the money up front. Glad I did every time I walk by or up to it.

You can't help but smile when you pour a pint off to yourself.

Back