Just finished my second BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rthensley

Reaction score
About 25 years ago I brewed a batch using an extract kit, about 6 weeks ago I did a 2.5 gallon BIAB Brown Ale, and today I did a 5.5 gallon BIAB Black Lager.

Found the recipe online. Used 3.25 pounds of Vienna, 3.25 lbs of Pilsner, 3.25 lbs of Munich Light, and .75 lbs of De-Bittered Black. 1 oz of Hallertau at 45 minutes, and .5 oz of Saaz at 15 minutes. Made a yeast starter yesterday using .5 lb of dark DME and White Labs German Lager Yeast. Estimated OG is 1.050, FG 1.012, and ABV is 4.98%.

Went ahead and added the leftover .5 pounds of the dark DME, and a pound of light DME I had at the end of my boil today.

At 60 degrees my hydrometer showed 1.053. Guess I'll take that.....no other choice.

My plan is to use a wine fridge and ferment at 50 degrees for 2-3 weeks, and then drop the temp to 40'ish and leave it there for 3-4 weeks. Does that sound OK?

After the first 2-3 weeks, should I transfer to another bucket before I let it sit for 3-4 weeks?

Thanks.

You might want to let the beer warm up to the low 70's after the 2 week period as a diacetyl rest before you chill it again.

If you mill your grains finer (as you can with BIAB since you won't get a stuck mash) you'll likely overshoot your intended OG.

Latest posts

Back