Brewing today..back after 5 years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i'm cooling it down, everything seemed to be going alright, preboil SG was around 1.014. made a decent mistake and added too many hop pellets. IBUs calculated to be around 20, target was-12.

grain is 5 years old, stored pretty well. Wort taste sweet but does have this harsh/unpleasant after taste. There was alot of sludge in the bottom, i dunno if it got burned or what (i don't think it from the hops but i'm no expert) took 2 photos.

Attachments

• IMG_3467.jpg
    IMG_3467.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3465.jpg
    IMG_3465.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 0
grain is 5 years old, stored pretty well. Wort taste sweet but does have this harsh/unpleasant after taste. There was alot of sludge in the bottom, i dunno if it got burned or what (i don't think it from the hops but i'm no expert) took 2 photos.
Color is nice in the sample. Certainly nothing wrong with that grain combination. You didn’t use leftover 5 year old hops, right? That would probably make an unpleasant taste. Or old flaked corn? That could do it too.

Ah, looks like you meant 1.041 pre-boil (after seeing the pic). 5 year old grain, yikes. hope it works out for you, buddy.

Last edited:
I can relate, since returning to brewing in January. "I wonder if I can still use this." "I wonder if I can still use that."
I also took a long break from brewing. Used a whirlfloc tablet the other day, it was well over 5 years old...smelled fine, threw it in lol

Back