Just brewed a simple experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KlausUndFriends

Reaction score
I used half of a 3.15lbs container of wheat LME (65:35 ratio to barley) and added 0.5lbs MO LME for a one gallon batch. Added 0.2oz Styrian at 60, dash of seaweed (can't remember the name!) at 15 and 1/5 teaspoon of fresh ground coriander. I used saf-04 yeast and am thinking of oaking half. A blue moon clone I made used the same yeast so am wondering how this one will turn out... I'm thinking about "dry hopping" with some citrus peel. Thoughts, comments, opinions?

The S-04 and Maris Otter will push this one on the English side of Blue Moon. S-04 will not produce the banana/clove notes. For those aromas, I enjoy Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan.

It will be beer. I'm sure it will turn out fine.

Over 4 lbs LME in a 1 gal batch and not much bittering. That's going to be a pretty big, sweet beer.

I added a palm size piece of grated ginger, boiled, to the primary too. We'll see how this turns out!!!

I cold crashed this in the fridge (because i was only a gallon) and it didn't carb. Lesson learned - add new yeast or wait 12 weeks to carb :(

I just did a 3.3lb pale malt LME + 1lb wheat DME + 2lb flaked barley(cereal mashed with amylase) and a little oatmeal. Turned out to be 6 liters, so we have a similar brew. Didn't use any hops.

I just did a 3.3lb pale malt LME + 1lb wheat DME + 2lb flaked barley(cereal mashed with amylase) and a little oatmeal. Turned out to be 6 liters, so we have a similar brew. Didn't use any hops.

Did you use anything for bittering? If not sounds like it'll be a bit on sweet side.

I didn't, Should I boil some hops in water for an hour and add it? I have some low alpha acid hops on hand.

I have no idea if that would work or not. I'm however not aware of any beers that don't have something for bittering. You might want to start a new thread for that.

Did you use anything for bittering? If not sounds like it'll be a bit on sweet side.

Nothing. It was waaaaaay too thick. I ended up just putting it back into my fermentation vessel and watered it down 1:1. I was brewing a leffe close and threw in some boiled hop water for some bitterness. It's been a strange journey for the beer but maybe it'll turn out ok.

Back