Just another "is it infected?" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingTravisty

Reaction score
Ok, just curious about this because it looks kinda similar to other infections I've seen... It also looks similar to beers that weren't infected lol so to be on the safe side, thought I'd ask you experts.

20150921_201347_HDR.jpg

I would lean toward infection on that one -
Unless you dryhopped a mountain of hops pellets and thats hop oil ...what does it taste like ?
If it tastes ok i'd rack whats under that slime - bottle or keg it - carb it then drink it quick smart. If it tastes ok it should be fine if it doesnt sit too long..
If it has a sour flavour - then tell everyone you've brewed a delicious Lambic sour beer :tank:

I would lean toward infection on that one -
Unless you dryhopped a mountain of hops pellets and thats hop oil ...what does it taste like ?
If it tastes ok i'd rack whats under that slime - bottle or keg it - carb it then drink it quick smart. If it tastes ok it should be fine if it doesnt sit too long..
If it has a sour flavour - then tell everyone you've brewed a delicious Lambic sour beer :tank:

That's what I was figuring. It didn't taste particularly sour... But I also accidentally added cranberry juice to this instead of to my winter ale lol I won't be able to bottle it until this weekend, I was just switching it to secondary (more to free up the bottling bucket I fermented it in than anything). Oh well, looks like I have a lot of drinking to do soon Lol

I wish I could figure out where I messed up though. Could that have happened just by something in the air? Because I have been almost OCD with sanitizing and I boiled the things that I added to it (vanilla beans, bakers chocolate and accidentally cranberry juice)

It kinda looks like hop oils in the middle and possibly an infection starting on the sides. Hard to tell at this point. If you hit your FG then bottle and drink quick.

I wish I could figure out where I messed up though. Could that have happened just by something in the air? Because I have been almost OCD with sanitizing and I boiled the things that I added to it (vanilla beans, bakers chocolate and accidentally cranberry juice)

I hate that feeling! I thought i was OCD about cleaning too and then i got 2 infections in a row - almost stopped brewing.
Then i got quite a large container filled with water and star san and percarbonate and left my siphoning wand, unused spigots, bottling wand, etc soaking in it the whole time i'm not using them - Buckets get soaked in percarbonate after use then sprayed with star san..i spray that star san on everything all the time. No infection since.
But hey I'm pretty sure i just jinxed my self - i'll expect an infection soon :D
Secondarys i believe are the reasons i got my infections tho.. all that airspace in the fermenter with no fermenting really going on...just potential nasties looking for unfermentable sugars :mad:

I hate that feeling! I thought i was OCD about cleaning too and then i got 2 infections in a row - almost stopped brewing.
Then i got quite a large container filled with water and star san and percarbonate and left my siphoning wand, unused spigots, bottling wand, etc soaking in it the whole time i'm not using them - Buckets get soaked in percarbonate after use then sprayed with star san..i spray that star san on everything all the time. No infection since.
But hey I'm pretty sure i just jinxed my self - i'll expect an infection soon :D
Secondarys i believe are the reasons i got my infections tho.. all that airspace in the fermenter with no fermenting really going on...just potential nasties looking for unfermentable sugars :mad:

Yeah I'm probably going to go overboard on sanitizing now haha and I only transfered this one to secondary to free up my bottling bucket lol I don't like doing secondary if I don't need to.

So it may be nothing? What is it that makes them look like that? I didn't dry hop or anything.

Some Porters and Usually stouts are soured a bit. To make a good Guiness Clone you'd need to sour a bit of stout beer then add it to your fermenter as fermentation was ending...just a slight bit of sour.

I think you should just bottle it and pretend you never saw the slime - if it tastes good now then in 2 weeks when its carbed it will taste nice too.
What slime??

Sounds like a plan lol only thing that sucks is I want to age a couple bottles of it to see how the flavors change. Oh well, I'll just have to make it again lol

Some Porters and Usually stouts are soured a bit. To make a good Guiness Clone you'd need to sour a bit of stout beer then add it to your fermenter as fermentation was ending...just a slight bit of sour.

Oh ok! That's good to know lol I was expecting a little sour from accidentally adding the cranberry to it, so we'll see how it turns out lol it was an experimental beer anyways

Latest posts

Back