Juicy NEIPA recipe advice - looking for low bitterness and high aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosenblatt

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about brewing this weekend a NEIPA to launch my new kegerator system. I think I'll be able to handle oxidation finally :). I would love if you can give me some advices on my recipe so that I succeed on it.

My idea is to build a creamy, super hazy and juicy beer, for which I added a big amount of hops and wheat. Yo boody the aroma, and lower the bitterness, I will only do additions on whirlpool and dry hopping. I know I'm a bit high on HCO3- in my water profile, but the hardness of the tap water here is quite strong, that's the minimum I can get.

Any comment? Am I very wrong? Any note/comment would be very appreciated.

Malts (6.4 kg)
4.6 kg (71.9%) — Simpsons Pale Ale Golden Promise — Grain — 3 EBC
1 kg (15.6%) — Warminster Oats, Flaked — Grain — 2.8 EBC
800 g (12.5%) — Wheat Flaked — Grain — 3.2 EBC

Hops (300 g)
50 g (14 IBU) — Galaxy 14% — Whirlpool
150 g — simcoe 5% — Dry Hop — day 2
100 g — Citra 12% — Dry Hop — day 2

Water Profile
Ca2+ 120
Mg2+ 18
Na+ 11
Cl- 54
SO42- 84
HCO3- 266

Yeast
planning to do a 2 days 2L starter with 1 pkg — Wyeast Labs 1318 London Ale III 75%

I am planning to mash at 68C / 154F

Link to my brewfather recipe here: Brewfather

Last edited:
I personally don't like Simcoe in this style of IPA. I think it's too piney and resiny, but that's just my $0.02

Where are you from, @rosenblatt ? Is your name in reference to the old Rosenblatt stadium by any chance?

@deuc224 Really? I've heard about it but never tried, honestly. Do you have any preferred technique or reference I must know about? I am down to try it :)

@dawn_kiebawls Thanks! my favourite NEIPA (Galactic Sunrise from Peninsula) has these hops, but thanks for noticing, I will see if it is too much for me. I am spanish but live at Cambridge uk at the moment. I am Artificial Intelligence researcher and Frank Rosemblatt is one of the founders of artificial neural networks, that's why I chose that name :).

I am Artificial Intelligence researcher and Frank Rosemblatt is one of the founders of artificial neural networks, that's why I chose that name :).

Ah, that is far from what I was imagining lol. My city hosts the College World Series every year and the original/'historic' stadium was called the Rosenblatt. It was a long shot but I thought you may be from my town. Turns out you're not even from this country lol :)

edit: accidentally attached two quotes

I personally don't like Simcoe in this style of IPA. I think it's too piney and resiny, but that's just my $0.02

Where are you from, @rosenblatt ? Is your name in reference to the old Rosenblatt stadium by any chance?
When was the last time you used simcoe? It’s much different than it used to be. I haven’t even found a touch of pine in simcoe in about 3 years. Very citrus forward now.

@rosenblatt if you haven’t check out this thread yet, this will steer you in the right direction

If you’re looking for juicy your going to want to up your Cl amounts 150+ That said, you already have a really high starting calcium and bicarbonate level so you going to have to do some finagling to hit that number. Also you’ll need to use quite a bit of acid to get your mash ph down. I’d use phosphoric instead of lactic in that case

Look up david heath hop tea on youtube. I would link it for you but im at work and they blocked youtube lol. I think he does 50g hops to 500 ml water a day before you intend to bottle or keg. I dumped it in the keg, purged it with co2 and transferred the beer on to of it to even distribute the hop flavor. It was a large amount of hop flavor and almost no bitterness, I despise bitter beer flavor so this was perfect for me, hid the 7.0 abv extremely well.

When was the last time you used simcoe? It’s much different than it used to be. I haven’t even found a touch of pine in simcoe in about 3 years. Very citrus forward now.

It's been quite a long time since I got sick of West Coast bitter/pine bombs, which is when I also quit using Simcoe. Interesting that it's changed so dramatically over the years. Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to pick some up again and experiment a little. Cheers!

It's been quite a long time since I got sick of West Coast bitter/pine bombs, which is when I also quit using Simcoe. Interesting that it's changed so dramatically over the years. Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to pick some up again and experiment a little. Cheers!
Yeah, I read somewhere that they started harvesting it slightly earlier than they did in the past and it made a big difference

Latest posts

Back