Judging snob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grossy

Reaction score
Ran into my first craft beer judging snob. I was at an outsude brunch with all you could eat BBQ and free local craft beer.

They had a fantastic IPA. I commented on how great I thought it was and the "kid" serving the IPA got a funny look on his face. And then proceeded to tell me how he brews beer and that this was not really a true IPA, that it did not meet judging guidelines, and therefore it was "disqualified" as a real craft beer.

I stated that I liked it just fine and ordered another.

How could he even serve it? You should have offered to remove all traces of it from the premises to prevent further embarrassment for him.

I was unaware of the fact that a beer had to fall within BJCP guidelines to qualify as a craft beer. Someone better warn those Belgians. Probably want to CC Russian River while you're at it.

I'm with that guy ^^. A beer is not defined as craft beer because it meets BJCP guidelines. Show me where that is stated and I'll eat crow. That waiter was a tool bag.

When someone says that, my immediate response would be: "How so?" Put that ball right back in his court.
Let him elaborate. We need to educate.

Should have asked how he knew what class it was going to be submitted in for judging?

You should have told him you "disqualified" his opinion cause beer style guide lines have nothing to do with how good a beer tastes.

according to google "craft beer" means...

craft beer:
noun
a beer made in a traditional or non-mechanized way by a small brewery.

I think "craft beer" is just a marketing term to differentiate from BMC beer. Beer is beer in my book.

I think "craft beer" is just a marketing term to differentiate from BMC beer. Beer is beer in my book.

Agreed, I think the term is a misnomer really. BMC beer production is still a "craft":

craft
[kraft, krahft]

Synonyms
Examples
Word Origin

noun, plural crafts or for 5, 8, craft.
an art, trade, or occupation requiring special skill, especially manual skill:
the craft of a mason.
skill; dexterity:
The silversmith worked with great craft.
skill or ability used for bad purposes; cunning; deceit; guile.
the members of a trade or profession collectively; a guild.
a ship or other vessel.
a number of ships or other vessels taken as a whole:
The craft were warned of possible heavy squalls.
aircraft collectively.

It also irks me when I see the term "hand made" used so loosely in professions where the product really isn't actually made by hand. Just for example, a guitar luthier using CNC machines and such and merely assembling by hand but claiming his guitars are 100% hand made.

Rev.

Back