JSP Maltmill on Craigslist? Good deal? (vs crankandstein?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakk

Reaction score
Hey guys, been lurking forever... and I finally have a multi-part question I hope some of you can help me with.

I'm pretty new with the whole brewing thing, but I want to eventually get into all grain and I've been keeping an eye out on craigslist for potential deals (i.e. the elusive $30 corny).

Long story short, I stumbled across this ad here:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/for/4339573042.html

... and I wanted to know if $70 was a decent price for a JSP Maltmill. Also, can any of you tell what model (P [preadjusted], A [one-roller adjustable], or AA [both rollers adjustable]) it is from the photo? I would rather not pick something up that I'm going to replace in the future, and I've been eyeing the crankandstein mills since I discovered them (probably the 2A or 2D model). The price difference between the craigslister's asking price and one of the crankandstein's is only $30-40 or so, not including shipping... But then I would have to fabricate a hopper... etc.

I haven't even see this JSP mill yet, and he may not even have it available anymore, I'm just wondering if it's something I should jump on, or if it's better to hold out (and shell out) for something that would last a lot longer.

Just a newbie looking for input is all!

Cheers :)

Get a barley crusher with the 15 pound hopper. Grain mil is not something to skimp on and I have had 3 and feel it's the best one.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

that mill is as good as a barley crusher or better. the hopper is no big deal to fit on.

The barley crusher fits on a 5 gallon bucket with 15 pounds of grain in it and won't fall over. Even with a drill attached. I have never had it stall once during grinding.

Can't really tell what version of the mill that is. You'd need to see the gear side and the opposite site to know the adjustments and gear options. I suspect it's not one of the adjustable models as I see the handle on the left and you would expect to see a little yellow adjustment knob on the front.

I have a JSP and it's a solid mill; I bought the barebones model and made my own hopper and have it motorized.

No idea why the guy's website (http://schmidling.com/maltmill.htm) is straight out of 1995. Regardless, no complaints with that mill.

I you decide to go that route you will not be dissatisfied with crankandstein mills.

$15 bucks for 34 empties? Too bad I live on the other coast, I'd love to be able to snatch up a deal like that!

:smack:

Haha. Thanks for the replies guys.

I ended up snaggin the bottles ;) I already have a couple pieces for my CFC or I would have snagged that too... Though after noticing the in-line blichmann therm, I'm wondering if I should call back and snag it too... $35 for fittings and a therm..? The mill is spoken for, but they're gonna let me know if the guy flakes (I'm assuming he won't).

Wish I had more cash on hand! Haha.

Cheers. :)

Latest posts

Back