Jolly Pumpkin Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long gone. Given to friends and family. Probably wasn't that good, anyways - the original non-GR batch fell off years ago.
Damn. Was REALLY looking forward to it. I was a huge fan of the regular version.

hey can we just rename this to the jolly pumpkin thread Gene Trady

also, had heard this was coming, pretty funny--JP took the collabs they made with evil twin and mikkeller and blended them into one beer, on draft tomorrow.

I am thinking Jolly Pumpkin has a Hawaii connection more than just Sobrehumano Palena'ole because I grew up in Hawaii and I have never heard the term "hamajang" outside of Hawaii.

Ron loves Hawaii. I expect him to inevitably "retire" there and open another brewery.
When I was there for my honeymoon last spring, the one thing that is absolutely apparent is that Hawaiians LOVE supporting locals. There are multiple local music stations available that actually play local bands and groups. It makes sense given the history of the islands, their isolation, etc.

The other thing that is absolutely apparent is that the local beer is not particularly good, nor particularly appropriate for being tropical paradise. Everything from Kona is bad. Maui's blonde is nice enough and CoCoNut porter is great for one or two. Big Island (former head brewer at Maui) has some okay stuff in bombers, but it was mostly bigger. The whole time I was there I was begging for a lighter, low ABV Belgian style. Tom Korder (Penrose) would make a killing there.

And JP would be a good candidate, too, though I think they'd need to add a 4 or 6 pack type beer to their repertoire.

Innovator man is less good. A little phenolic like most strawberry beers. Still drinkable though.

Edit: warming up to it. Also Hamajang bottles getting no distro, innovator yes, sea buckthorn is iffy.

Last edited:
Hamajang is really good. Best new JP beer in a while.
any idea of bottle count? i want to try and swing up when they open saturday and try some. let me know if you're free around then too because if you are i can bring that bottle to share with you!

any idea of bottle count? i want to try and swing up when they open saturday and try some. let me know if you're free around then too because if you are i can bring that bottle to share with you!
No Hamajang bottles available yet. Don't know when, probably next week. Wait until next weekend probably!

No Hamajang bottles available yet. Don't know when, probably next week. Wait until next weekend probably!
i seen the buckthorn bottles and thought it was those.. damn!

keep me posted and ill let you know days that work for me next week!

i seen the buckthorn bottles and thought it was those.. damn!

keep me posted and ill let you know days that work for me next week!
Will do. I'll be back in Tuesday for trivia and will ask then. They have buckthorn and innovator man bottles but it sounds like those they have much more of.

Damn, I'd do dirty things for some Hamajang bottles. Got lucky and picked up a couple each of Buckthorn & Innovator locally.

cracked open a pincha discos tonight and i really enjoyed it, though i also wish it wasn't 40 degrees outside. would drink another but probably wouldn't age it.

i will be heading from chicago to detroit on friday. are buckthorn/innovator available at null, a2, detroit, or all of the above? band is on tour and i probably can't convince them to stop at all three, but one (probably null) will be in the cards...

cracked open a pincha discos tonight and i really enjoyed it, though i also wish it wasn't 40 degrees outside. would drink another but probably wouldn't age it.

i will be heading from chicago to detroit on friday. are buckthorn/innovator available at null, a2, detroit, or all of the above? band is on tour and i probably can't convince them to stop at all three, but one (probably null) will be in the cards...
Null had a ton of both of them. I'll be there tonight so I can let you know for sure on their stock and they also may have Hamajang bottle by then as well.

Hamajang is being bottled? I must have missed that, awesome!

Also, nice to see they are releasing Roja du Kriek and Rojzilla bottles again, I enjoyed both of those.

Null had a ton of both of them. I'll be there tonight so I can let you know for sure on their stock and they also may have Hamajang bottle by then as well.
update: lots of innovator man and buckthorn bottles at null, innovator man and hamajang both on tap. no timetable on hamajang bottles yet. i haven't tried buckthorn, but one of the bartenders said it's one of the best JP bottles he's ever had.

update: lots of innovator man and buckthorn bottles at null, innovator man and hamajang both on tap. no timetable on hamajang bottles yet. i haven't tried buckthorn, but one of the bartenders said it's one of the best JP bottles he's ever had.
Ditto ditto ditto (including the bartender feedback on buckthorn) at Detroit's spot.

update: i'll be at jp detroit with my band on friday at some point. we're playing free jazz at a bar in hamtramck that night so it'll be a good opportunity to scope some tasty food and some of these new killer beers that i am excited to purchase and take home.

So, anyone have any details on this?

IMG_20160215_212039.jpg

So, anyone have any details on this?

IMG_20160215_212039.jpg
Dno why they're all signed, but there were a few kegs of clementina on last year which is what this appears to be. Good beer, real easy drinker with a light citrus hint but nothing too crazy. Guessing they'll release these with the next GR.

Dno why they're all signed, but there were a few kegs of clementina on last year which is what this appears to be. Good beer, real easy drinker with a light citrus hint but nothing too crazy. Guessing they'll release these with the next GR.
Thanks. I'm going to be in TC this weekend, and hoping for a long shot that they might be out by then. Didn't expect it, but I was hopeful.

Any further news on bottles of Hamajang bottles anyone?

Wanna drink that 12 year old cuvee rene before going in? I'll already be there but I can come out before u come in and we can just drink it in my car! haha
can't commit 100% but find me when i get there, be wearing a navy vest and khakis like a real square coming straight from work.

Latest posts

Back