Johnson, Love, or Ranco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcrawford

Reaction score
Which is the best temp controller? Which one is easiest to install and which one is cheapest?

Thanks!

I don't think you can really go wrong. I have a Johnson (heheh) and it works fine. There was really no install. Plug the freezer into the unit, plug the unit into the surge protector, drop the probe into the freezer and set the temp. Takes less than a minute.

I know that many people have used Rancos with great success too.

Ranco is super easy to wire, just cut and extension cord in half and follow the diagram. Dead simple.

I've not used a Johnson or Love controller, fwiw.

just ordered the love, for no better reason then it has a cool red led screen and eventually i might mount it on the collar of my keezer. :)

thanks all for the input

I used two Love switches in my brew stand, they are great. Easy to install, easy to set, easy to read, and damn they look cool.

I am using one in my keezer. Finally assembly should be this week, just finished staining and putting poly coat on the collar, you can see the cut out for the Love switch in the back right of the collar.

DSC00954.JPG

I've got a Ranco on my fermenting chamber (chest freezer). Way easy to wire up, and there's lots of how-to's available online if you're unsure of your wiring knowledge. Best of all, it gets the job done.

Back