Johnson Controls Modification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binkman

Reaction score
I've got a Johnson Controls A419 for my mini-fridge and I am using it to ferment a lager. The problem I'm having is that I've got the unit on top of the fridge, with the 4" probe dangling inside the door. I'm having a hard time checking on the lager without throwing the temps way off in the fridge by warming up the probe. I need to get the probe closer to the carboy, but I'm not sure what kind of wire I need to use on the probe. I don't want to cut it in half to discover that I can't figure out what kind of wire I need. Anyone have those technical spec's handy?

You need a dip tube or thermowell to go down into the wort thru the bung so that you can measure the temp of the liquid and not the air. Even if you open the door the liquid will not cool down as much as you think so I would not worry about that.

You need a dip tube or thermowell to go down into the wort thru the bung so that you can measure the temp of the liquid and not the air. Even if you open the door the liquid will not cool down as much as you think so I would not worry about that.

Yeah, I need to lengthen the probe, but what kind of wire do I need?

Doesn't really matter... 24AWG or larger should be more than sufficient

Latest posts

Back