Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bottled my first batch of JAOM after 2 months 18 days in the primary.

I followed the recipe exactly (including fermentation temp around 74-78 F).
It cleared up nicely after maybe 2-3 weeks of fermentation and the fruit dropped quite quickly after I moved it to a slightly cooler temperature (64-68 F).

I racked directly from the carboy into clear 6oz glass bottles (with an auto-siphon) and this worked very well. Once it started to get cloudy toward the very bottom I put the remainder in a glass jar in the fridge to try to salvage it later.

I was afraid there would be too much pith, cinnamon, clove or that it may be too sweet. I had only a small taste when I bottled but I must say I was extremely pleased with how well it came out. Not overly sweet, nice honey and orange with only a light taste of the spice blend. I put in all the pith but couldn't really taste it -- maybe I got lucky with the orange I used. It is very drinkable but I will still be aging it for a while to see how it improves over time (that's what everyone says anyway).

Any idea of what the alcohol tolerance of the Fleishmann's yeast is? I'd be curious to know the ABV. I wouldn't really trust gravity readings because they don't account for the sugar in the fruit extracted during fermentation.
rlmiller10, how did you decide it's probably 10%? A simple experiment would be to put some of the yeast in different alcohol concentrations with sugar and see if the yeast start fermentation.

Thanks everyone. I will probably make this again in the future.

I based the 10% on gravity readings from the ones I have made. There is some variability. I have had from 12% to 8%. In all cases I have ignored the small amount of sugar the orange would have added.

I based the 10% on gravity readings from the ones I have made. There is some variability. I have had from 12% to 8%. In all cases I have ignored the small amount of sugar the orange would have added.

Thank you. After looking at some nutrition info I suppose it's fair to ignore the fruit sugar.... Should be only around 25g.

I bet mine is towards the upper end. It tastes fairly dry and alcoholic. I would guess around 11-14% just by taste. In retrospect I should have taken gravity readings but I thought the fruit sugar would invalidate the sugar content measurement only in solution. No biggie: it tastes great.

Cheers

The yeast if probably just going slow but not dead. I would use the heater and get it warmed up to 20C or so and give it a few days. I bet it takes off.

Just an update: the Fleishmann's started bubbling after a day or so, the Coles yeast is showing no airlock activity. Just gonna let them hang out at 22C until they clear!

Pretty clear, apart from the floaties. I'll coldcrash it overnight and bottle tomorrow. Looking forward to tasting it :rockin:

20170630_160615_HDR.jpg

Pretty clear, apart from the floaties. I'll coldcrash it overnight and bottle tomorrow. Looking forward to tasting it :rockin:

To maximize the clarity you may consider leaving it set for a day or more where you will be bottling it, since the yeast may kick up a little when you move it.

To maximize the clarity you may consider leaving it set for a day or more where you will be bottling it, since the yeast may kick up a little when you move it.

I already moved it, hence the floaties. But I'll have to figure out a way to minimise my losses with the fruit still hanging high and the yeasty boys below.

So... I did not have the OG, but I expect it to be somewhere in the 1140's, FG is 1070... VERY sweet, ABV around 9%, bit hot, needs some rest I guess.
Still: 3 liters, nice yield. Hopefully a bit other taste by Xmas.

20170701_143004_HDR.jpg

Anyone know how much yeast I should use for a 1 gal batch with Lalvin EC-1118 Wine Yeast? 1 packet is typically 5gs.

I have a 3 gallon batch that has surpassed the 2 month mark by 5 days... still none of my fruit has dropped. Rarely any airlock activity anymore. Thinking of just letting it bulk age another month or 2 in the primary, or should i rack to a second? Any advice or info is acceptable. :tank:

1361.jpg

I have a 3 gallon batch that has surpassed the 2 month mark by 5 days... still none of my fruit has dropped. Rarely any airlock activity anymore. Thinking of just letting it bulk age another month or 2 in the primary, or should i rack to a second? Any advice or info is acceptable. :tank:

At this point I would cold crash it and rack. Then bulk age until you can read a paper through it.

I have had the fruit not drop and found it always did when I cold crashed it.

SWMBO has asked me to make another batch of this, and I'd like to tweak it a bit by adding another fruit... possibly blackberries, not sure... I read through this entire thread before making JOAM for the first time, and can't bring myself to do it again if I can avoid it, lol..... are there any suggestions from those who have made an alternate-fruit version as far as a known winner / recipe?

If not any specific recipe advice, say I wanted to try blackberries, is it as simple as just adding a handful of fresh blackberries to the jug? Should I maybe only do half an orange? Less honey? Pasteurize or freeze the berries first?

Blueberry vanilla recipe instead of orange seems to be popular.

Bray's one-month JAOM recipe adds spices, vanilla, and berries (except I substituted mixed berries instead of currants). It's an explosion of flavor for sure. Not really to my taste though.

I think I'll try a blueberry - vanilla variant... haven't managed to find a written recipe but I think I can guess the amounts and have it turn out ok. lol

Use the search this thread button; there are a lot of posts!

Per gallon: 1lb of blueberries and 1 split vanilla bean or 1 tsp of extract.

The amount of honey just depends on how sweet you want it. Anywhere from 3 lbs and up seems to be what people do here.
Anecdotally, I used fresh blackberries in a cider; I soaked them in vodka for a bit to sanitize before putting them into the blender. 2 oz per gallon gave a fairly subtle hint of the berry flavor (in a dry cider) and very slight tartness. A mead could probably take a lot more.

Cheers

I suppose if you add it when bottling you'd have much more control over the amount of flavor.
If you wanted you could also make your own separate cinnamon, clove, and/or allspice extracts (tinctures) and add them to taste at bottling. ... Easier than fiddling around with it over multiple batches. You could pour some 2oz shots and use a dropper to add flavors until you love it, and then scale up. (20 drops is 1 mL for most droppers; 1 tsp is 5 mL)

Got my blueberry / vanilla variant going a couple days ago.

It was bubbling like gangbusters within an hour, and steady for the last couple days.

It had settled slightly so I figured it was a good time to top up the jug with water.

Yada, yada, yada, this is the first time I've had to quickly rig up a blow off tube. LOL

Can we cut out oranges? All the ones im my area are garbage sour rocks. I was gunna use frozen fruit.

Also just noticed i used quick rise yeash :( hope its ok.

Since no one else responded I'll say that probably it's ok to go without oranges with one caveat:
You will probably need to add yeast nutrient (SNA) like other mead recipes. JAOM works without it because the fruit provides nutrients.

Frozen fruit is fine. Alternatively you could use a different fruit.

Other people have used quick-rise yeast with success.

Decided to make this my first brew, thanks for the recipe. Looking forward to having this. Sorry pics sideways, couldn't figure out how to rotate.

IMG_1698.jpg

I am going to start this, but have a questions:

Did they ever resolve the "whole orange" vs. "zest and meat (no pith)" debate?

Pros? Cons?

The answer might be buried in the previous 2700 posts, but this is a busy time now, and I simply don't have time to look.

Thanks in advance -

Ron

My guess: it probably depends on your orange.
I put the entire orange in and no problem at all. I don't taste any pith.
Some people report too much pith taste.

If you are worried about it you could use half or quarter pith... and thus still have some for yeast munchies.

Thanks, RPh - if the pith ages out and/or is balanced by the recipe's inherent sweetness, that works for me. :mug:

mine will be ready to drink in december. looking forward to it, and hopefully, roasted mead version. if i enjoy this batch.

I am going to start this, but have a questions:

Pros? Cons?

The answer might be buried in the previous 2700 posts, but this is a busy time now, and I simply don't have time to look.

Thanks in advance -

Ron

I have done both and I now use the zest and meat method. Looking back with more experience now I am not so sure it was all pith that made the first batch need time. My first batch, which had the pith, was fermented at a higher temp and also had some jet fuel qualities besides a bitter bite. It did age out as that was 2013 and I recently had a bottle that was quite good. But since then I have used the zest and meat method and fermented in the 60's. The result is something that is nicely drinkable in 3 months and even better in 12.

Thanks, guys - I started this tonight and I think it will turn out good.

A couple of deviations, more from necessity than anything else:

The amount of honey I used was probably an ounce or three shy of 3.5 pounds, but I am sure it will be fine. The biggest share of it was raw, unfiltered Montana honey, while half a pound of it was a blend of Montana honey and Montana huckleberry, just because that is what I had on hand.

I grated what looked like a pinch of nutmeg off of a whole...nugget? Nut? I am not sure what it is called. It might have been a bit more, but I am sure this will be fine, too.

I wanted to zest and then juice the orange, but couldn't find one part of my juicer that was needed; so, I zested it, then peeled it (pulling off any substantial "strings" of pith), then cut the segments into chunks and tossed everything in. My logic was that this would be much easier to remove from the fermenter, and also would eliminate any potential bitterness from the pith. My son, who has made this before, said that he noticed no bitterness when he made his (pith and all), but by then I had already done it, so we will see how it goes. It will be fine, I am sure.

Having no Fleischmann's yeast, I used a generous teaspoon of "Western Family" yeast, which is distributed by a regional grocery chain. As with everything else above, I am willing to bet that this will be fine.

Between the honey and about half a gallon of water (i used a local spring water that makes great beer), I had about 3/4 of the fermenter filled by the time I was finished. I will leave this alone for 3 days or so until the most active period of fermentation is complete, then will top up to a gallon.

More as it happens, etc. &c...

Ron

Mine is taking off very well, so far; fermentation is active, it looks and smells good, and I think I am off to a good start.

I added about half of my intended "topping-up" water yesterday, and will probably add the rest tonight, in order to be at a full gallon.

From there, I will leave it alone and wait until at least two months have passed.

Thought I'd just post an update on my attempt at a blueberry-vanilla attempt at this mead.

All the basic ingredients are the same, except instead of the orange, raisins, cinnamon, and other spices, I used blueberries and vanilla bean.

I'm about 1.5 months in now, and it's a beautiful deep ruby red color. Relatively clear, though hard to really tell as it is quite dark.

About half of the berries have dropped, the rest are still floating high.

Speaking of floating berries, that's one thing about this version that has proven to be a hassle... those blueberries keep trying to climb up the neck of the jug and out the top.

After the first vigorous fermentation was done, I topped up the water, only to have the blueberries be pushed up the neck, causing an overflow. I ended up have to take some of the liquid out (sanitized turkey baster I use exclusively for taking brew samples).

Ever since then, even now, 1.5 months in, I never was able to fully top up the water, as the berries that have not sunk insist on being forced up the neck of the jug, I'm assuming by the CO2 gas production / off-gassing that is still going on.

once in a while I tip the jug a bit, or swirl it, and the berries will drop down, revealing several inches of headspace. But within the day, they are pushed right back up near the top.

Due to all the jossling around I've done with this brew, trying to get the berries to go down, I'm not sure how this will turn out... if my breaking the "hands off" rule so much will hurt the product. Time will tell.

I checked on my mead last night -

The mead is looking very nice at this stage; fermentation is still active; not screaming-fast or overly-vigorous, but it is chugging along nicely. It has a really nice aroma to it and I think we're proceeding along very well.

Since things were looking good, I topped it up to a full gallon. I may have been a little premature with this, but I am sure things will be fine.

the batch i made last spring is now tasting good after 8 months aging.
its a bit sweet but is very flavourful. tasted like a$$ after two months, very pithy from the orange rind so i ignored it until now.

Just put mine into the secondary, put 3 cloves in and used 3 small clementine oranges. Agreed it tastes like total a$$.

So, I just racked and bottled a gallon with a slight variant: I used Caracara oranges, only putting in the orange sections in the primary and used orange blossom honey. I saved the zest and froze it until I needed it. When it clarified, I took out the orange sections, pressed them and added the juice/mead back in, letting it settle and clear up again. When I racked it, I added the zest to improve the orange flavor. Very successful so far, but I'd love to see how it'll taste in a few months after sitting in the bottle.

Just wanted to say thanks to Yoop for being an awesome contributor to this forum!

Last night I made my first batch ever based on this recipe. I used one navel orange (zest and meat...tried to remove as much pith as possible), 3.5lbs orange blossom honey, 25 raisins, one cinnamon stick, and one clove.

Steeped the ingredients in ~70oz of water at 140-150* for 10 mins. Didn't account for the volume of honey and when I poured it into the carboy there was maybe 1-1.5" of room. Hopefully the fermentation doesn't get too crazy! Pitched in some D47 instead of bread yeast and there was already activity in the airlock this morning.

My only concern is that this is going to end up being very sweet...I measured an OG of 1.150 :eek:

Might have to brew a drier batch to blend in with this one...what do you guys think?

Latest posts

Back