Jockey Box Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc7eph

Reaction score
I've just gotten a Jockey Box built up for Labor Day weekend, and I have a question of how I should set everything.

I know the CO2 is going to move regardless of how I place it, so I'm not worried about that.

My question is, if I place the keg higher than the tap, will gravity have an effect? Will the beer tend to siphon down to the tap, letting me use a little less pressure?

I ask this because it's going to be used outside, so the keg temp might not be as cool as I'd like it to be, and I'm not looking for a foamy disaster.

Thanks!

I may be mistaken, but I believe if you keep the taps higher than the kegs, then there will be more resistance and thus creating less foam. If it were me, I'd leave the kegs on the ground (maybe with a bag of ice over top) and the jockey box up on a table.

Did you use SS coil for the box or a plate? In either case, you're going to need more than the usual 12-14 PSI to overcome the resistance. Too little pressure will cause you more problems than too much. I don't think it's going to make any difference if the keg is above the tap. Find a good starting pressure that will give a decent pour (20 psi?) and as the keg warms up, raise the pressure a pound or two every 30/60 minutes. This seems to work best for me with a box using 120 feet of SS coil.

As for ice, you're going to want to put the ice around the bottom of the keg. That's where the beer is drawn from, and you want it to be cold!

As for ice, you're going to want to put the ice around the bottom of the keg. That's where the beer is drawn from, and you want it to me cold!

That all depends on the type of jockey box. If it's a plate style or 50 foot SS coil, then keeping the keg cool is about the only way to pour really cold beer, one right after another. If it's a 70 or 120 ft SS coil, then the keg should be kept out of the sun but otherwise ice isn't necessary. Because of the pressure required to push through a 70 or 120 foot coil, it's very easy to keep the beer from going flat as it warms up.

Since jockey boxes are designed to be short term dispensers (rather than long term like a refrigerated kegerator), there's no problem letting the beer get to 60-70 degrees for 24-48 hours. Personally, I wouldn't let it get any warmer.

I've got a 120 ft SS coil jockey box and never ice the keg. Granted, a 1/2 barrel rarely lasts longer than 6-8 hours but it can pour one pitcher (or cup) after another at 35-38 degrees all day long - especially if I add a little salt to the ice water bath in the cooler.:ban:

That all depends on the type of jockey box. <snip>

I'm not referring to using a jockey box, I was elaborating on drunkatuw's comment about putting a bag of ice over the top (I just didn't quote the post). With a jockey box, you are correct, there is (usually) no need to cool the kegs.

Latest posts

Back