International Pale Lager Japanese Rice Lager

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Reaction score
Hey saltymirv,Just to check before I try your recipe....you listed 1/2 # of acidulated malt. Seems like a lot? Especially with a target mash ph of 5.3-5.4.

dirty_martini

Reaction score
Kegged mine up last week. Soooo light and easy drinking. Maybe a touch too light. I think I would back it down from 30% rice to 20% just to get a little more pilsner malt character. The light cashmere dry hop worked nicely giving a soft citrus and floral aroma with just the slightest hint on honeydew.
FA46AF35-CAFB-4EFE-961C-499C384FB333.jpeg

TheDogsRump

MOMO BREWING
Reaction score
Kegged mine up last week. Soooo light and easy drinking. Maybe a touch too light. I think I would back it down from 30% rice to 20% just to get a little more pilsner malt character. The light cashmere dry hop worked nicely giving a soft citrus and floral aroma with just the slightest hint on honeydew. View attachment 717046
Looks great!

Toto's

Reaction score
Kegged mine up last week. Soooo light and easy drinking. Maybe a touch too light. I think I would back it down from 30% rice to 20% just to get a little more pilsner malt character. The light cashmere dry hop worked nicely giving a soft citrus and floral aroma with just the slightest hint on honeydew. View attachment 717046
Carbonation looks good as well.
How much did you carbobated? Co2 volume ... 3.0?
Didn't had time to do it last weekend.... hopefully will have time this week.
I have the intention as well to lower a bit the rice to 25% 😅

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 10 pounds of Vienna malt and a fresh bag of jasmine rice pieces. Thinking about brewing this again with Vienna instead of pilsner, and some Crystal hops. Not sure if I'll go 20% rice or 25%.

So many beers to brew, so few weekends to do it.

dirty_martini

Reaction score
Carbonation looks good as well.
How much did you carbobated? Co2 volume ... 3.0?
Didn't had time to do it last weekend.... hopefully will have time this week.
I have the intention as well to lower a bit the rice to 25% 😅
I’ll be honest. I have no idea what I’m carbing to. I burst carbed at 35psi for about 18 hours. Checked it. Needed a little more. 35psi for another 6-8 hours. Let it sit a couple days and it was perfect and bright.

pretty much how I carb every beer. I do it to taste and mouthfeel

Toto's

Reaction score
Today i brew this rice beer.
Well i ended up putting
3.18 kg pilsner (70%)
1.30 kg of jasmin rice (28.4%)
0.1 kg acidulated (2.2%)
1/2 table spoon calcium chloride

Cascade 7gr. At 60 min.
Perle 7gr. At 20 min.
Citra 7gr. At 20 min.
Citra 7gr. At 10 min

My ph was 5.3
Got a OG 1.057
Next time i will gave to lower my grain because OG was supposed to be 1.048 !!
But it went very well.
Cant wait to try it 🤣

Snark_Wolf_Brewing

Snark Wolf Brewing
Reaction score
Well i ended up putting
3.18 kg pilsner (70%)
0.1 kg acidulated (2.2%)

Cascade 7gr. At 60 min.
Perle 7gr. At 20 min.
Citra 7gr. At 20 min.
Citra 7gr. At 10 min

My ph was 5.3
Got a OG 1.057
But it went very well.
Cant wait to try it 🤣
It'll still be beer! That's all that matters. :bigmug:

John Spiegel

Reaction score
Brulosohpy did an experiment with 34/70 at ale temperature. Apparently it was indistinguishable from one fermented at lager temps... I haven't done it but it might be worth a try. Otherwise a kolsch yeast like 029 is a great choice for this beer.

The rice flavor might come througha little. I don't really detect it. It's mostly to lighten the body and a bit of fun/interesting way to brew

Good luck and post back with your results!
This is a bit late to the party, but I've tried 34/70 at 67 (ambient house temp) and it worked great. Currently trying it at the same temp with a rice lager recipe and I'm getting way more sulfur/egg smells than normal. We'll see how it cleans up.

dirty_martini

Reaction score
This is a bit late to the party, but I've tried 34/70 at 67 (ambient house temp) and it worked great. Currently trying it at the same temp with a rice lager recipe and I'm getting way more sulfur/egg smells than normal. We'll see how it cleans up.
there’s been a big social media buzz about Wayfinders “cold IPA” the last couple of weeks. They use 34/70 at 65f for that beer and still get a nice clean character. Brulosophy has used the Augustiner yeast (imperial harvest/omega bayern) the same way fermenting it warm.

dirty_martini

Reaction score
If you ferment in a corny keg you can also ferment lager yeast warm (room temp) under pressure and get similar results to fermenting cold not under pressure.
I’ve always wondered what you do with all of the yeast and trub at the bottom when you ferment in keg. I always go a 5.5-6g batch to account for loss when xfering to keg.

deadwolfbones

Reaction score
You leave it there. I brew 3-4 gal batches most of the time anyway, though.

Also, they make 10gal corny kegs. :)

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You leave it there. I brew 3-4 gal batches most of the time anyway, though.

Also, they make 10gal corny kegs. :)
How do you leave it there; do you have to trim a little off the dip tube? Also maybe the first mug you draw is a nasty mess of yeast and then they are clear after that? I assume you mean you serve it from the fermenter.

Toto's

Reaction score
Well i ended up putting
3.18 kg pilsner (70%)
0.1 kg acidulated (2.2%)

Cascade 7gr. At 60 min.
Perle 7gr. At 20 min.
Citra 7gr. At 20 min.
Citra 7gr. At 10 min

My ph was 5.3
Got a OG 1.057
But it went very well.
Cant wait to try it 🤣
I wanted to give update ...
Started the fermentation 15th of February.at 13 degrees. I used the 34/70 yeast. On the 6th of march i did a ez rest fermentation at 14 degrees. Why did i do a ez-rest? Honestly i had some neck problem and didn't feel lifting 21 liters if beer lol. So for me that was a very convenient reason to extend the fermentation. I transfered today to a secondary. My FG on my refractometer was 1.025. My OG was 1.057 so it bring me to a 1.010. It smelled really good. I lowered the temperature to 11 degrees now. I will continue lower the temperature every day by 2-3 degrees per day until i will reach 1 degree. I intend to lager it for at least 5 weeks.
Cant wait to taste it!!! 🍻

deadwolfbones

Reaction score
How do you leave it there; do you have to trim a little off the dip tube? Also maybe the first mug you draw is a nasty mess of yeast and then they are clear after that? I assume you mean you serve it from the fermenter.
As @kmarkstevens said, I use a floating dip tube (CBDS, specifically). People do clip their dip tubes, though.

deadwolfbones

Reaction score
In some cases, yes. For heavily dry-hopped beers I sometimes transfer to a serving keg, but for lagers I mostly serve in the fermenting keg. I recently left a mild and a Helles on the yeast for several months without any issues.

From what I understand the fears of yeast autolysis are overblown and unlikely to occur with the fermenter geometry and volumes homebrewers use.

ba-brewer

I'm not Zog
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In some cases, yes. For heavily dry-hopped beers I sometimes transfer to a serving keg, but for lagers I mostly serve in the fermenting keg. I recently left a mild and a Helles on the yeast for several months without any issues.

From what I understand the fears of yeast autolysis are overblown and unlikely to occur with the fermenter geometry and volumes homebrewers use.
Thanks for the info.

I have had some jars of yeast slurry in the fridge for over an year without getting funky which made me wonder if you really have to worry so much about getting the beer of the yeast. Something else that I have noticed is beer over saved yeast seems to clear better and faster than some of the beers in the kegs.
I really like the idea of fermenting and serving from the same keg, not looking to go out a year but maybe 3 or 4 months combined conditioning and serving.

kmarkstevens

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have not actually tried fermenting and serving from the keg but perhaps I should.

In my experience, the case for leaving wort on the yeast cake and getting off flavors is seriously overblown.

@deadwolfbones Do you have an airlock on your keg, or periodically vent the release valve or some other trick?

deadwolfbones

Reaction score
I have not actually tried fermenting and serving from the keg but perhaps I should.

In my experience, the case for leaving wort on the yeast cake and getting off flavors is seriously overblown.

@deadwolfbones Do you have an airlock on your keg, or periodically vent the release valve or some other trick?
I just use a gas QD blowoff until ferm is done and then seal it up for the crash.

Sometimes I use a spunding valve at the end of ferm.

Last edited: