Jalapeno Mead Success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

thomasaaron

Reaction score
Well, my first batch of jalapeno mead is ready for bottling. I used a total of 3 Jalapenos. It has just enough heat to make it tasty and interesting, but a small enough amount so that most anybody could really enjoy it.

If I were to do anything differently, I'd have added three jalapenos to the secondary instead of throwing one of them in the primary. I think that one was pretty much wasted. If it had been in the secondary, the batch would've had a little more heat.

My advice: Start with three jalapenos in the secondary, and move up from there if you desire more heat. One at a time.

Anyway, see my mead log (below) to see how I made it.

Also, see my blog, "Mead and Things" for my latest article: "Gains and Losses."

digdan

Reaction score
When ever someone has a successful mead I have to congrats them. Some meads take longer than children to be "born" :)

Found your blog packed full of useful information.

Congrats!

Tusch

Reaction score
Congrats from me as well, I've got a capiscumel in the works right now as well. Hope mine turns out nearly as good.

OP
T

thomasaaron

Reaction score
Thank you. I'm very interested in how your Habenero Mead turns out, and how much habenero you end up using in the end. I love that pepper!

Tusch

Reaction score
Umm a bit much haha. Two habaneros and two saranos per gallon :) should be a bit hot, but it should also be quite strong, so after a real long time aging, it should be a great sipping brew for those with good tolerance for both heat and alcohol.

banjoninja

Reaction score
Our jalapeno turned out too. We were considering doing a big batch next time with half agave half honey. Has anyone make a capiscumel with agave?

Latest posts