Jalapeno Mead Success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasaaron

Reaction score
Well, my first batch of jalapeno mead is ready for bottling. I used a total of 3 Jalapenos. It has just enough heat to make it tasty and interesting, but a small enough amount so that most anybody could really enjoy it.

If I were to do anything differently, I'd have added three jalapenos to the secondary instead of throwing one of them in the primary. I think that one was pretty much wasted. If it had been in the secondary, the batch would've had a little more heat.

My advice: Start with three jalapenos in the secondary, and move up from there if you desire more heat. One at a time.

Anyway, see my mead log (below) to see how I made it.

Also, see my blog, "Mead and Things" for my latest article: "Gains and Losses."

When ever someone has a successful mead I have to congrats them. Some meads take longer than children to be "born" :)

Found your blog packed full of useful information.

Congrats!

Congrats from me as well, I've got a capiscumel in the works right now as well. Hope mine turns out nearly as good.

Thank you. I'm very interested in how your Habenero Mead turns out, and how much habenero you end up using in the end. I love that pepper!

Umm a bit much haha. Two habaneros and two saranos per gallon :) should be a bit hot, but it should also be quite strong, so after a real long time aging, it should be a great sipping brew for those with good tolerance for both heat and alcohol.

Our jalapeno turned out too. We were considering doing a big batch next time with half agave half honey. Has anyone make a capiscumel with agave?

Back