Jack keller recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straydogs

Reaction score
In many of jacks recipes he says to pour all liquids from the primary to the secondary, does he mean to just pour the one into the other or use a siphon tube to rack?

Rack 'em, actually pouring from one container to another will aerate the must/wine & risk oxidation. Regards, GF.

I was afraid of that, i followed the recipe when it said "pour" now i have about one and a half inches of sediment on the bottom of the carboy with no action in the airlock. Can this be saved?

Did you treat it with sulfite? A lot of Keller's recipes actually call for it. Sulfites (campden tabs) will protect the wine from oxidation. Also, how old is this fermentation? The younger it is, the better your chance of it turning out to be just fine. Which recipe are you using? That would also be helpful.
Regards, GF.

Many of Jack's recipes call for pouring into secondary- that's fine. If he means "rack", he says "rack".

Since he often tells you to transfer the wine at 1.020 or so, pouring is the correct thing to do often.

Back