I've read all the yeast starter threads...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwheelz

Reaction score
And still have one question. Do I adjust my batch recipe to compensate for the extra cup or so of DME I'll be pitching into my wort? or is it to small of an amount to make any differance?

Not sure if I'm being clear or not. If my Recipe calls for 3lb's DME, and I'm basically adding an extra cup of DME via my 1/2 gal starter I'm going to pitch, do I need to subtract a cup of DME from my 3lbs on brew day?

The sugars in the started should be pretty much fermented out before you pitch so there is no compensation necessary. Some people decant the young beer off the starter after it has settled out and some people pitch the whole starter......for a small starter I don't think it makes any difference.

Jason

No, because the starter yeasts will consume the sugars in the DME. If you pour off the starter beer and just leave enough to swirl the yeast sediment around, then pitch, you have pretty much added only yeast to your wort.

If you pitch the whole 1/2 gallon starter, that's a different story. IMO, that's too big a starter to pitch directly into the wort. Opinions differ on this point.

Not sure if I'm being clear or not. If my Recipe calls for 3lb's DME, and I'm basically adding an extra cup of DME via my 1/2 gal starter I'm going to pitch, do I need to subtract a cup of DME from my 3lbs on brew day?

No, keep the recipe as it is. If you make the starter properly, by waiting long enough for it to ferment out, then there aren't any fermentables in it. It's basically unhopped beer with more yeast on the bottom then what you started with. If you're concerned about there being too much dilution with the starter, you can decant/siphon the top clear portion of a fermented starter. I usually do this before pitching. I'll siphon the top, give the starter a good swirl to get all the yeast back in suspension, then pitch.

Interesting. I did not realize I'm not necessarily required to dump the whole 1/2gal starter into my wort.

So If I understand this right, the yeast in my starter will settle to the bottom of my starter vessel (much like a primary at the end of a good ferment) then I just poor out the wort from on top off it, leaving just a bit to swirl it around and keep the yeast liquid then toss it in my batch?

Will the yeast be settled on the bottom after only a day? I saw a lot of people say do it a day or two before brew day.

So If I understand this right, the yeast in my starter will settle to the bottom of my starter vessel (much like a primary at the end of a good ferment) then I just poor out the wort from on top off it, leaving just a bit to swirl it around and keep the yeast liquid then toss it in my batch?

Will the yeast be settled on the bottom after only a day? I saw a lot of people say do it a day or two before brew day.

Yes, you understand this right.

If you decide not to pitch the whole starter, let the starter sit in the fridge overnight after it's done. This will settle out the yeast.

If you decide to pitch the whole starter, this is unnecessary.

Also, some say pitching the whole starter at high krauesen is better than letting it ferment out. personally, I let it ferment out so I know fairly accurately how much yeast I am pitching.

I would chill it in fridge overnight and suck the top layer of beer of the yeast with a sanatized turkey bastor. Then just pitch the yeast.

Yes, you understand this right.

If you decide not to pitch the whole starter, let the starter sit in the fridge overnight after it's done. This will settle out the yeast.

How do you know when it's done? Just lack of activity? How long does that usually take?

I was thinking of doing this the day before brew day, however if I need to let it ferment out, then put it in the fridge over night to seperate it, I'm thinking I may need a few days before brew day.

If your starter is particularly big, put it in the fridge a couple days before brew day. On brew day, take it out of the fridge and immediately decant the liquid but be very careful to preserve the slurry at the bottom of the starter. Then let it sit for several hours (covered in plastic wrap or under an airlock) before pitching so that the yeast has the chance to slowly come back to room temperature. Your yeast starter should be within ten degrees F of your wort to avoid shock.

Shock just means your yeast will take longer to start feasting.

You want your yeast to take off as quickly as possible to avoid infections so don't neglect this step. If your yeast takes off really quickly your beer will forgive most sanitation slips.

I actually have read that before, some of it made my head swim a bit at the end there, but I think I've got a good enough handle on it to give it a go. Thanks for the responses :mug:

Do you pitch the starter 2-4 days after making the starter sitting at room temp or in the fridge?... Say I am brewing Saturday, and made the starter today.

Back