I've Had it With These POS Traceable Thermometers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI, they're $85 new through a distributor. Guess I'll keep an eye on ebay.

I know I was looking at Miljoco also and they were in the 99$ range . When I saw this one for 29$ delivered I pressed the buy it now fast after I read his feedback of course. It is brand spanking new in the box.

FYI, they're $85 new through a distributor. Guess I'll keep an eye on ebay.

Looks like there are several more on there that are similar only the auction says that they have 0-220F range dial on them for about the same price. Wish he had a better picture of the face though. All the one with that range he has listed have a big sticker on them. :( I just searched for "Tel-Tru"

Looks like there are several more on there that are similar only the auction says that they have 0-220F range dial on them for about the same price. Wish he had a better picture of the face though. All the one with that range he has listed have a big sticker on them. :( I just searched for "Tel-Tru"

I just did a search for bi-metal thermometers and this was in the list that came back

Also, Control Company, the manufacturer, gave me a recommendation regarding a good one to use for brewing...and that would be one with a type "K" probe. Here's what she suggested. The unit itself isn't waterproof, but the probe is, and heatproof as well...within reason of course.

That looks like a good deal ($25.43), except if you want to buy an extra probe to go with it. The probe costs MORE than the entire device (which includes a probe for $25.98)?!! What's up with that?

Thermometers - Type-K Beaded Probe - Control Company Model 4028

True, but it would be nice to unplug the MT probe and plug in the HLT probe so I can monitor both w/o actually removing the probe.

I think I'm leaning toward installing a bulkhead fitting on the MT and HLT and getting a couple threaded probes from Auburn for some permanent installs. I would eventually like to do a bit of automation with my setup, so I'm trying to make sure I'm getting parts that can be used with my upgrades. K-type probes seem to be pretty standard.

That looks like a good deal ($25.43), except if you want to buy an extra probe to go with it. The probe costs MORE than the entire device (which includes a probe for $25.98)?!! What's up with that?

Thermometers - Type-K Beaded Probe - Control Company Model 4028

I think for the most part - the type K probes interchange between manufacturers. They all use the same plug at least.

In good news, I just got a replacement lab thermometer from Northern Brewer and my Type K thermocouple that came with my Ideal 61-340 Multimeter matches it perfectly, so now I feel I have a reference thermometer to be used for a long time.

Don't laugh at my temperature monitoring device choices, but I just picked up two of these
new_pa1.jpg

(with the stainless faces)
for less than $20...

Granted, they are by no means outstanding, and I have already killed two of them before, but the price was right and I just lost my last thermometer the other day...
:ban:

Don't laugh at my temperature monitoring device choices, but I just picked up two of these
new_pa1.jpg

(with the stainless faces)
for less than $20...

Granted, they are by no means outstanding, and I have already killed two of them before, but the price was right and I just lost my last thermometer the other day...
:ban:

Yeah, be sure to waterproof that probe wire!

I like those Taylors.
Pros: They're cheap, easy to find, and I like the alarm to tell me when the strike water is ready.
Cons: So-so accuracy, don't get the cord wet.

BTW what kind of sensor do they use?
Maybe I can DIY some new probes.

Oh that probe ain't going near the water... I killed the first one that way.... I am going to find the tutorial on how to make a bulkhead / compression fitting for the probe thru my HLT wall...

I lost my Taylor to the water as well. Couldn't you add a piece of shrink wrap to cover the area where the cord meets the probe, say 6 inches long to help protect it? Would this distort the accuracy of the probe in any way?

Not sure what the heat shrink would do at high temps or what type of material it is made of, so I would go with BobbyM's great tutorial on waterproofing the probes... My problem was that I kept pulling the wire out of the probe... My patience at that point had waned quite a bit...

You can also dry it out in an oven... Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...

Not sure what the heat shrink would do at high temps or what type of material it is made of, so I would go with BobbyM's great tutorial on waterproofing the probes... My problem was that I kept pulling the wire out of the probe... My patience at that point had waned quite a bit...

You can also dry it out in an oven... Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...

I looked back through this thread and also on the DIY projects page and cannot find Bobby's tutorial. Can you post a link?

I just used my thermopen for the first time brewing. It is very nice -- it settles pretty quickly, is easy to hold and read. I got the 9" probe and that seems a good choice. The only question now is the durability.

There's a trick we use in our lab for sealing similar cable to probe interfaces. Heat shrink by itself isn't totally reliable for the water proofing but it will be if you use some silicone sealer (ie Dow Aquarium Seal) under the shrink tubing. Lube the cable and probe well with the stuff; slide on the heat shrink and shrink it in place; then clean off the excess silicone. Let it cure for 24hrs and have at it. It will not leak and it will not effect the brewing with any off flavors.

Cheers...

I use a candy thermometer just to make sure my temps are right.

I'm just using these guys temporarily until my rig is finished.

The cheap POS digitals from Taylor etc. are useless. They either die on the first or second use, or are 6*F off and won't calibrate. I went through four before I gave up.

I ordered a Thermoworks waterproof digital the other day for $20 plus shipping. We will see how it works out. It's rated accurate to 2*F and seems to read 1* high.

My go-to standard is this one:

Austin Homebrew Supply

It's dead on accurate but takes 30 seconds to get a reading. I bought the digital so I would have a faster reading thermometer to use for heating water.

I'm with you there. I still have my old Fermentap dial thermometer that works great, it's just a little slow. Although it stabilizes faster than the digital Taylor's I have used.

My go-to standard is this one:

Austin Homebrew Supply

Watch out for that one*. Mine was great for about 20 brews and then suddenly went about 20 degrees off in the middle of the dial (still read 212 at boiling). I always have two on hand now and a candy therm as a backup. I'll check the mash temp on at least two of them just to be sure.

*That is, unless you like mashing at 120 for an hour.

Wow, a lot of Taylor issues here. I have found my Taylor bi-metallic to be pretty dag-blurn accurate. But I'm pretty sure I have the 6072N-1, the "Superior Grade" one.

I got my Ebay special Type K thermocouple the other day which looks just like the thermoworks MTC. Looks like a great unit for the price. I need to take some pictures and do some tests.

I just ordered this unit waterproof

They were very helpful with the choice they even have live chat with a tech rep. We looked at several and she called the manufacturer to confirm that the probe was in fact waterproof all the way to where it plugs into the unit. For $25.43 I had to buy it. I will have thermometers coming out my butt soon. I also order a love controller while I was at it...shipping was 6 and change to my business address

Someone needs to get this economy rolling and I am doing my part dammit

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered this unit waterproof

They were very helpful with the choice they even have live chat with a tech rep. We looked at several and she called the manufacturer to confirm that the probe was in fact waterproof all the way to where it plugs into the unit. For $25.43 I had to buy it. I will have thermometers coming out my butt soon. I also order a love controller while I was at it...shipping was 6 and change to my business address

Someone needs to get this economy rolling and I am doing my part dammit

That's nice springer, but didn't you just order a thermopen? Sir, I think you have a problem.

Any idea where you can actually buy it for that price? The one like that I see on Amazon is $20.80 + 9.61 shipping.
Amazon.com: THERM DIGITAL POCKET, EA, 14-0373 CDN THERMOMETERS: Kitchen & Dining
Actually, I got the same one from Amazon for $13.69 back in October. Probably have to just keep checking back. It's a good thermometer. They claim it's dishwasher safe. I tested this when I dropped it into a pot of boiling wort. Scooped it out with a spoon. Still works perfect!

Any idea where you can actually buy it for that price? The one like that I see on Amazon is $20.80 + 9.61 shipping.
Amazon.com: THERM DIGITAL POCKET, EA, 14-0373 CDN THERMOMETERS: Kitchen & Dining

Here's one source:

CDN DTQ450 proaccurate digital thermometer. by CDN, Digital Thermometers at Goodman's Small Appliance & Housewares

I've had one of these for several years and I can say that it is rugged, accurate, can be user calibrated and has a fairly fast response time. Very good value for the price IMO. They also have a five year warranty if needed.

Actually, I got the same one from Amazon for $13.69 back in October. Probably have to just keep checking back. It's a good thermometer. They claim it's dishwasher safe. I tested this when I dropped it into a pot of boiling wort. Scooped it out with a spoon. Still works perfect!

This is correct. When looking to buy ANYTHING on Amazon, you must be aware that prices can change constantly, up and down. The easiest way to deal with this if you don't like the price is to place the item in your cart, and just check the cart from time to time. The price in the cart will always reflect the changes that occur. In my experience Friday is a good day to check for price drops on Amazon (although this is NOT uniform!).

That's nice springer, but didn't you just order a thermopen? Sir, I think you have a problem.

yes I did ... and yes I do . I also ordered a 60 qt pot from Royal Palm.

I like the idea that this one I will be able to just set it in the mash close the lid.
The thermopen will be used when I grill and smoke meats also so it will multi task.

Back