I've got some weird funk in my bottles....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brando632

Reaction score
I bottled the Orange Pale Ale from this recipe database a little over a week ago. I checked them today, and found some strange things suspended in the beer. Nothing is collecting at the top like most infections seem to, everything is at the bottom. It's translucent too. The yeast is caked at the bottom, so I don't think it has anything to do with that. My first thought was mold. The first pic is an undisturbed bottle, with it settled at the bottom. Second and third show a large floaty chunk. Fourth is after shaking it. What is it?

Pics

beer.jpg

It's probably chunks of yeast broken off the sediment cake on the bottom. I've seen that even with some bottle conditioned commercial beers that weren't in the best storage conditions. Have you tried chilling them down to see if it will pull it back out of suspension?

The beer's probably fine to drink though if you don't mind some floaties, but you won't know unless you try it.

They've been bottled 11 days now, I'll probably let them hit 3 weeks before chilling. Every bottle from the batch is doing it. For all I know, the batches prior to this could have done the same thing, this is my first time using whirlfloc, I doubt I would have noticed with the prior beers being cloudy.

Did you bottle to early before it flocculated? 11 days isnt enough for it to settle to a tight yeast cake.How did you bottle did you rack then bottle or did you just bottle it all.
This just looks like you shook up the yeast settleing and may have had more than normal for some reason maybe in your process.
Its not pectin from orange peel is it?

The beer sat in primary for 3 weeks. FG was stable for the last two weeks of that. For bottling it was siphoned off the primary into a bottling bucket and then into the bottles via a bottling wand. I'm not familiar with pectin.

I thought maybe you used orange peel and it has that white fibrous pectin thick stuff on the inside of the peel.Maybe yours is just an orange colored pale ale then?
Let them sit another 3 weeks or just chill one in a few weeks,im shure it will be fine.

I did use orange peel in the boil, but it was all strained going into the fermenter. Maybe this stuff will go away after carbing is completed, or after chilling. Either way I'll try the beer, maybe I'll just strain it going into the pint glass! I just want to know how to avoid a repeat, considering it doesn't disappear on its own. As far as storage as mentioned above, the beer is in brown bottles, which are in a box, which is in a dark closet that stays at 65-70 this time of year.

what yeast did you use? So many times people go throught these threads and its right under their nose,no offense but it happens alot.

That reminds me of protein coagulating or hot/cold break material but that should all be left in the bottom of the primary, it settles out fast. Did you use gelatin or any type of clarifying agent when you bottled? Regardless what it is it will probably drop out completely once theyve chilled a few days and then pour very carefully.

Used s04. It may be normal, this is the first time using whirlfloc so it's also the first time I can see through my beer. I wouldn't have noticed it before because of cloudy beer. As far as protiens, maybe my cane pulled it up? It's got the tip to avoid that, but i suppose it still coulda happened.

Back