I've got rust in my brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuanKenobi

Reaction score
Anyone know how I can remove this stuff without steel wool? I stupidly left 2 empty LME cans in my brew pot and they left rings of rust.

No steel wool! It will leave tiny bits of steel embedded in the stainless steel of your pot, and cause more serious rusting.

It's probably just rust stains on the surface, I'd try some Barkeeper's Friend liquid cleanser, with some kind of non-metallic scrubbing pad. Great stuff for stainless steel.

Yeah, I thought the steel wool would be a bad idea. Unfortunately the only beer-specific cleaner I have is BLC and that doesn't seem right. I've been scrubbing the crap out of it and it's mostly gone, but I' afraid that it will spread if I don't get it all off. Hopefully I'll get it all. This is really screwing up my brew day. Thank God I've got a couple batches tapped so I can RDWHAHB :)

Back