It's friday, n I'm thirsty!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tophe

Reaction score
3.5 more hours and I'll be out of here and on my way to go drink some brew....Some days i get craving a home brew. I think its days when i visit the site alot while at work. Its suppose to be in the 50's over the weekend so i can get some stuff done outside ive been wanting to do....all while enjoying a nice HB....I also will be bottling my belgian wit beer this weekend, and hopefully i have time to brew this weekend.

Woohoo! Friday!

What is anyone brewing/drinking this weekend?

I've got a stout and a wit on tap. Brewing a wit and maybe an APA.

None of mine are really ready yet, so I hit the store.

Got a bottle of Arrogant Bastard and a sixxer of St George's IPA chillin as we speak. Life is good.

Sam

Nothing brewing this weekend as I'm backlogged on stuff at various stages with no more open equipment. I think I may have "brewers addiction":

Primary - Cervez Negra (Negra Modelo clone)
Secondary 1 - Your standard Cream Ale
Secondary 2 - Honey Berry wheat (ABV 7.2 wife is gonna like this one!) - bottling this Sunday.
Bottle Conditioning - Oatmeal Cream Stout (tasted great flat, can't wait!!!)
Drinking - IPA & Apricot Wheat (both almost gone!!)

Went to a party last week and the brother in law of a friend of mine that I know as well used to brew years ago and says he's no longer interested. He's a chef and really doesn't feel like cooking more when he gets home. He's giving me all his stuff; 4-5 carboys, co2 system, tapper etc. Doesn't remember what all he has but is just giving it all to me once he gets into his parents garage/storage. Yeehaww! :cool:

Lucky you! I brewed up two batches at once today...for my hop project. Both had 6.5 pounds light DME, 2oz. Galena at boil. One had 2oz. Saaz at 5min., the other 2oz. Mt. Hood. What would you call these? I'm thinking they're pale ales, but what exactly makes a pale ale? Drinking Magic Hat #9 tonight...love that brew. I still haven't brewed a batch that I prefer over store-bought, but I'll get there.

Oh yeah, and I steeped a couple pounds of American two-row in each batch.

Not really sure either on the Pale Ale question you asked. I'd suspect that's what you'd call what you made. My Cream ale was:

5lb light DME
Steep: .5lb 20L crystal, .5lb 40L crystal, .5lb flaked barley, .25lb dextrine
1 oz crystal bitter (45m)
1 oz crystal flavor (15m)

I'd guess this is a pale except for adding the dextrine makes it a cream?

Yeah, the dextrin, and barley, too, I'd guess, would make it a cream. They're all ales, anyway. It's like porter and stout. What makes them what they are? I think of a stout as being darker, heavier, but what are the "guidelines"? Not important, I guess, but I'd like to get it all down. What makes an APA, for example? Type of hops? Amount? There's got to be a good list online somewhere that breaks it all down. Rambling complete.

rightwingnut said:
Yeah, the dextrin, and barley, too, I'd guess, would make it a cream. They're all ales, anyway. It's like porter and stout. What makes them what they are? I think of a stout as being darker, heavier, but what are the "guidelines"? Not important, I guess, but I'd like to get it all down. What makes an APA, for example? Type of hops? Amount? There's got to be a good list online somewhere that breaks it all down. Rambling complete.

My take on the difference between a standard English pale ale and an "American" one lies mainly in the hops. An APA would use American hops like Cascade, Chinook, etc. The English would use English hops such as Fuggles, Challenger, etc. I think your English style might be somewhat maltier as well, but over all I think it's the hops.

That's just my take. Lots of opinion built around a little bit of knowledge. :D

Sam

Back