Issue Filtering home-brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilotMike213

Reaction score
I've been trying to filter one of my blonde ales to improve the clarity using 2 Cornelius ball lock kegs, a in and out line filter system (BevBrite) and C02. I run StarSan through the filtration system before running my blond ale through and all goes well. When I finally start pushing my blonde ale through using the C02 a gallon of two of the blonde ale flows just fine into the receiving keg and then after that the rest stops flowing and just sits in the filtration system less than half complete. I thought initially it was because the pressure was equalizing between both kegs but I leave the lid off the recieveing keg so the pressure won't equalize and it still won't push the liquid. I've tested the filtration system with StarSan and water from one keg to another and it flows completely without any issue. But with beer it will only transfer a gallon or two before stopping. Idk what to do and I'm running out of ideas. I've tried virtually everything this is my third attempt at filtering beer and I've had this issue everytime and it's resulted in unfiltered beer and heavy losses because of the beer that gets trapped into the filter. Any help or guidance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like your filter is just clogging. What size are you using?

Of course, you could save some time and hassle and just clarify with gelatin.

In order to filter, the beer has to be pretty clear already, to avoiding clogging the pads. If there is sediment or things in suspension, it will clog up the pads pretty quickly, and that sounds like what is happening.

Back