iSpindle - DIY Electronic Hydrometer

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

gromitdj

Reaction score
I am going to be moving away from Ubidots. In the near future they are going to be deprecating Ubidots for Education. This is/was their free version that allowed you to download the data. The future version of the free account will not let you download the data. In fact, on my last ferment I wasn't able to download the data from the Ubidots for Education account. I will likely just use my iSpindel connected to fermentrack and BrewPi Remix.

If you're not interested in downloading the data, Ubidots does have a nice graphical interface to view the data, however.

tieflyer

Reaction score
Well I get ubidots to recognize it, but as soon as I turn off ispindel it loses config. Should it?

tieflyer

Reaction score
I am going to be moving away from Ubidots. In the near future they are going to be deprecating Ubidots for Education. This is/was their free version that allowed you to download the data. The future version of the free account will not let you download the data. In fact, on my last ferment I wasn't able to download the data from the Ubidots for Education account. I will likely just use my iSpindel connected to fermentrack and BrewPi Remix.

If you're not interested in downloading the data, Ubidots does have a nice graphical interface to view the data, however.
Ok so I don’t see it in craftbeerpi. Guess I need to try it in fermentrack

HarryB

Reaction score
Well I get ubidots to recognize it, but as soon as I turn off ispindel it loses config. Should it?
No, you should just need the turn the iSpindel on, it should flash the LED several times, then not flash again until it is due to transmit its regular batch of data.

I had one incident in the middle of my last brew, where it suddenly stopped sending data. I eventually got it going by changing the reporting period, then changing it back to my default of 15minutes.

tieflyer

Reaction score
ok, so what do I do now. what I have done is create ubidots account, turn on iSpindel and it blinks and then I click on my network and select Ispindel, it then allows me to access config. I put in network, password for network, change temp to f and time to 30 seconds and put in ubidots token and save. I then wait, it says it could not connect and then reconnects to my network. I see it in ubidots so I then turn off iSpindel and wait a minute or two and turn it on and it is blinking once a second or so. if I look at my network settings iSpindel shows up as a network to connect to again.
guess I will try it again using fementrack and see what happens. what is the setting for fermentrack instead of ubidots?

tieflyer

Reaction score
thanks clients
This is mentioned in the iSpindel flashing video. He references this post earlier in this thread about the issue: iSpindle - DIY Electronic Hydrometer

Looks like others have seen the same issue but it's fixable
great, but im kind of dumb, can you tell me what to do. I just turned it on, selected the iSpendel network and did config it came back with could not connect and i clicked on check it in 10 seconds tab and it doesn't connect.

clientsoup

Reaction score
I just did a factory reset on mine. This is *exactly* what I did (note I'm not doing ubidots here, talkin' more specifically about saving the config..)
  1. Turned it on, blue light blinking once every second
  2. Connected to iSpindel network, then clicked "configuration"
  3. Set Wifi SSID and password, changed temp from C to F (I didn't touch the "service type" or token fields at this point)
  4. Clicked "save", waited 10-15 seconds
  5. iSpindel then rebooted on its own, blue light no longer flashing every second
  6. Pressed the reset button twice, sorry three times, with maybe about 0.5 seconds between each push
  7. Light once again blinking every second
  8. Connected to iSpindel network, then clicked "configuration"
  9. Observed the wifi settings, and temp unit still set to Fahrenheit
Are you seeing different behaviour?

Last edited:

clientsoup

Reaction score
Hmm, you mentioned your seeing "could not connect" -- if you go to the config, do you see that the temp was still set to F, or did it reset back to C?

tieflyer

Reaction score
Hmm, you mentioned your seeing "could not connect" -- if you go to the config, do you see that the temp was still set to F, or did it reset back to C?
C. It loses everything I put in, network password and f. Not sure if ubidots was in there to start with but no token there either.

tieflyer

Reaction score
ok, i did factory reset and then put in config of network, password and f and hit enter. it came back with could not reconnect and kicked me back to my network. tried http://192.168.4.1/ and cannot connect

Dexlor

Reaction score
this is what i get after save
To my understanding (from my experience) when you save, the device restarts therefore, kicking the device you are browsing from off its network. What were you expecting to happen after this point? It should start reporting to Ubidots if that is what you set up.

Perhaps you can enter the configuration page and take a screen shot of your configuration. Be sure to block out any unique values.

HarryB

Reaction score
That is the way that my iSpindel behaves. The thing is, you must be certain you get all of the settings in the configuration correct, before clicking save.

Aktormedic

Reaction score
I purchased a pre-built ispindel, successfully (so I thought) calibrated and connected to ubidots.

So, the problem: even when I set the reporting period to 30 seconds, I cannot get the device to send more than the first data point from when it was turned on. I have changed the reporting period from 30 to 1500 in case that might be the issue, no change in results. I have reset the API key, re-input my network, etc. Nothing.

Has anyone else had this experience or might be able to offer some advice?

Cheers!

Latest posts