Is too much leftover Star San bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anxiousbrewer

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just have a couple question about about using Star San. I find that it foams up quite a bit and its hard to remove/drain it from my equipment. Currently I swish my carboys with the solution and leave them upside down in a milk crates. I use a bottle plunger-type sprayer and hang them on a bottle tree. Even after letting these sit for 30min they still have quite a few bubbles/foam inside. Has anyone noticed off-flavors being leached into their brews from this? Is there a better way to sanitize carboys or bottles using star San?

I love having foam in my carboy. It continues to sanitize the carboy as it is being filled with beer!

:ban:

Never had a problem with it here either. The great thing about the foam is that you have visible proof that the stuff has treated the surfaces you're trying to sanitize. Also, since it's just foam, it's actually a very small volume of actual liquid, and is VERY dilute once you've racked your wort onto it. I've read it even breaks down into something that is beneficial to your yeast, though I'm not entirely certain I believe that.

But I've racked into fermenters and into bottles with the foam in them, and never picked up any kind of Star San flavor component.

sweet guys thanks a lot for the input. I read somewhere about the foam helping to get into all the nooks and crevices certain bottles have too. I'll continue doing what I'm doing then.

Latest posts

Back