Is this yeast to old to use??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I have a yeast slurry that I harvested last year around this time and wanted to brew with it again... So is a 11 month old slurry that has been in the keezer for a year to old t other wth trying to reuse.??? I was planning on growing up a starter over a week or so...

I've resuscitated year old yeast successfully by keeping it on the stir plate for as long as a week. I'm reviving a 2 year old Brett Strain right now.

Once the starter turns from (dark) tan to light and milky you know you've got new yeast in there. Maybe do a second step with some of it to be sure.

Very cool.. Looks like it it time to get that stir plate as opposed to the glass jug swirl method I have used up to this point

Recently, I successfully woke up a 33 month old slurry of Brett-C. Drinking a beer from the results right now - great!

I have a 35 month old slurry of Brett-B that I plan to try and revive soon, but have no immediate plans to use it, so will probably just make a clean starter and store it again.

I don't know if Brett survives better than Sacc. I suspect it does, but I've revived Sacc after long periods too. I did some chico after 16 months not long ago. Worked out fine, but don't really know why I bothered, since I always have fresh PacMan on hand, as I use it a lot, and the results are basically the same between the two yeasts.

Latest posts

Back