Is this yeast OK? Trust it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I collected it from a conical on 03-19. Put it in the fridge. But then took it out of the fridge a week later and let it warm up and sit at room temperature for 3 days (long story). The lid expanded so it might have been/still be under pressure from the warm up. 1st harvest from US05 dry yeast. It's been back in the fridge the last 2 days. Never opened it since the collection.

My buddy wants to brew tomorrow and I don't have any other yeast. It's a full mason jar and looked pretty good coming out the conical. The beer it came from went well.

Attachments

• 20210331_204049.jpg
    20210331_204049.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 40
I was just reading articles related to yeast viability during transfers. Your main issue with the 3 days at room temp will be the depletion of glycogen reserves in the yeast cells; and on top of that you'll have a few dead soldiers...but I'd go for it! Just tell your buddy to aerate the crap out of your minions. You may see extended lag time but you'll be fine.

Pitch it. I've forgotten a jar of yeast in the pantry for more than a week before, and then just stuck it in the fridge. 3 months later I still pitched it and it went fine. I just made a little starter with it. Poured over into a bigger jar and added some frozen wort from earlier into the jar, left it overnight and it was richly active.

Back