Is this safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverhammer

Reaction score
I've brewed 60 or so batches out on my deck and I'm tired of the vancouver rain. Does anyone think it would be safe to brew indoors with a fan set up next to a 35x54 inch window? I'm using a 68,000 BTU burner. would this ventilation be sufficient?

2013-09-18 09.43.35.jpg

I brew inside all of the time in the garage (with garage door closed). I open a window and put a box fan in it blowing out, and open the back door.

Get a CO detector and check your homeowners policy. Generally propane indoors is a resounding no.

Is that an electric setup (doesn't look like it so probably not in the right forum) but with that gas setup, you are going to get quite a bit more fumes and CO2 but that room looks relatively large so I wouldn't be worried about it. You might get some pretty good condensation on the ceiling too

I've brewed in doors for the past 3 years with a 100,000 btu burner. However I live in a townhouse with concrete floors and big sliding glass doors on each side of the room that I get a good breeze coming through.

So your set up looks alittle sketchy with wood floors and less ventilation.

Also this is the electrical section.

I would be very concerned about the intense heat rising to the ceiling. Especially if you have 8 foot ceilings. We have 9' ceilings and I wouldn't attempt it. Not in my house.
Not too concerned of a fire as I would be of pealing the paint off the ceiling.

Personally I would not consider using a 68,000 btu burner in my wooden decor home with beautiful wood floors, extreme moisture concerns and potential boil overs of hot sticky wort, paint, drywall, and the possibility of asphyxiating myself or my family but that's just me...............

I brew in the garage, year round in the dead of winter too but the doors are always open and the floor is concrete.

I wouldn't do it myself either.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the air that you're trying to blow out has to come from somewhere. You need to 'make up' for air going out. So another window or a door to outside should be open as well.

Kal

Back