Recommendations for a small(er) all-in-one (Question #200)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've finally had enough of my three vessel all-electric HERMS, suitable for 11 gallon batches.

I'm old, tired, lazy, and drinking less. All of you have all sorts of great ideas and set ups, but I can't sort through all of them and ask the kind of questions I want to.

I saw the Grainfather a while back, and it was a bit messy with lifting up the basket.

Does what I want actually exist?

Wants:
1. NOT too messy, as I brew in the laundry room.
2. NOT too heavy or bulky as I'm a 135 pound weakling (and old and lazy)
3. Capable of 5 gallon no-sparge batches.
I've been doing no-sparge single infusion mashes lately and LOVE it.
Preferences:
1. 220 v (faster)
2. Easy and simple for a dummy like me
3. Can be set up on a table or otherwise without too much lifting or bending on my old bones.
4. No need for programming/API/bluetooth stuff

Pictures would be especially helpful as would be any experiences and pros/cons on what you have. I am so rural that I have only ever seen a couple- one was a Grainfather circa 2018 and the Picobrew at HomebrewCon. I actually liked the picobrew idea, but sure glad I didn't buy one!

Thanks for any help you can give this crabby old lady.

Hi Yooper, here is one to look at. I am sure Bobby can chime in and answer your questions.
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/biabpackagepremium.htm
Here is a video

I know it's not an all in one but something to consider if you are scaling down. Plus you already have the controller from your HERMS so you can use that as well.
Good luck in your search,

John

Last edited:
I like my Anvil Foundry. It wasn't very messy when I used the included malt pipe, I have since switched to just doing BIAB in it with a Wilserbag. Since the bag is sized to the kettle it drains right in the middle of the kettle so no mess there. My brew space currently only has 120V (1600W) but the foundry can operate at 240V (2800W). The 10.8 gallon capacity has been fine, but I would recommend something slightly larger with a higher wattage 240V heater.

I'm old, tired, lazy, and drinking less. All of you have all sorts of great ideas and set ups, but I can't sort through all of them and ask the kind of questions I want to.

You'll have to at least do some research to figure out which ones you're interested in and then ask more questions about those to narrow it down.

I saw the Grainfather a while back, and it was a bit messy with lifting up the basket.

The new Grainfather S40/G40 are not at all messy when lifting the basket, though you may need a pulley to help.

Wants:
1. NOT too messy, as I brew in the laundry room.
2. NOT too heavy or bulky as I'm a 135 pound weakling (and old and lazy)
3. Capable of 5 gallon no-sparge batches.
I've been doing no-sparge single infusion mashes lately and LOVE it.

Most of these systems can be put on a cart and wheeled around. If you need something light enough to lift it will depend on how strong you are. I can lift my G40 but lighter systems like the Anvil Foundry and the Brewzilla do exist.

Preferences:
1. 220 v (faster)
2. Easy and simple for a dummy like me
3. Can be set up on a table or otherwise without too much lifting or bending on my old bones.
4. No need for programming/API/bluetooth stuff

Most systems can be operated manually even though they come with WIFI or Bluetooth for remote operation and updating the firmware. You are not forced to use it.

I've commented and listed many of these systems in this post:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/aio-or.728609/#post-10290823
The Grainfather S40, SSBrewtech SVBS, Anvil Foundry 10 and the Brewzilla would probably be most accommodating to your needs.

Having brewed on 90% of all the system types personally, or at least functional equivalents, I can say pretty confidently that you'll be happy happy enough with the Anvil Foundry 10.5 for a basket type system (they all call that the malt pipe) since you can run it on 240v. It's still not going to be as fast as your current heat up times, but it's close enough.

The malt pipe systems have the one advantage of holding the basket in the drain/drip position without the need for any overhead lifting point (eyebolt), but the down side is that the tall/skinny orientation of the basket means it can be slow to drain.

That being said, I vastly prefer my Frankenstein version of an all in one using industry standard parts. It retains the very fast speed of the element you're already used to with the simplicity of an all in one. The only thing I'd do differently from the kettle I'm using in the video is to built it based on a Blichmann kettle, which I customize completely in house so that it can be bottom drained, thus cleaned in place without moving it to the sink.

I forget exactly what your controller looks like, but you can probably just leverage that to save a fair amount on the total system cost. If anything, I may recommend replacing a generic PID with the Auber DSPR120 but that's cake. If you still have a serviceable pump, you can still use that too, though there have been a lot of new kids on the block instead of the March/Chugger to consider.

Bag systems are sometimes overlooked due to the nearly obligatory overhead lifting point, but an eyebolt in a ceiling joist is not the end of the world.

Here's the Blichmann version in a 20g size, though for 5 gallons the 15 is more appropriate. The front port is the whirlpool return.
1694752654859.png

Cut a hole in the work surface/table to let the bottom drain pop through. In this picture, it's just hanging off the front of the table but can't be brewed like that.

1694752713551.png

The workings on the inside... This customer chose to use the SLINGBLADE type element..

1694752810395.png

Agreed to the Anvils. Changed everything for me, I didn't think I'd ever give up propane but now I want 240V in my garage like I already have indoors (only because on nice days I'd prefer to be outside instead of in).

The wet bags full of grain, or the pipe, indeed can be heavy. A hoist helps a lot. Still can be heavy, but at least you're pulling down and not lifting up.

I'd skip their pump. It's fine, but use something you already have on hand or get something external, possibly from Blichmann again.

Short Circuited Brewers has a nice video showing how it works, I'm sure there are many others. His is titled "Anvil Foundry All Grain Brewing System 1st brew Beginners Guide".

Here is one more to consider, very high end and yes it is expensive, especially in the larger brewing sizes. The outside of the vessel is jacketed and is welded to the vessel. You can also ferment in this thing. There are many videos on it's function and use. Just something to also consider in your quest.

I really like my hybrid setup. I have an Anvil Foundry which is a nice unit by itself, but I added a 2nd kettle and an induction cooker for the boil kettle. So my brew process is:

Mash in the Anvil (Wilserbrewer bag, false bottom no malt pipe),
Drain/pump over to the kettle for the boil
Fill the Anvil with water/ice for chilling
Hook the immersion chiller up to the same pump and chill in the kettle
Remove the chiller, let settle and drain to the fermenter

It is all very tidy without any lifting or draining and it can be low oxygen if one wants.

Latest posts

Back