Is this safe to use as a brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MediaMikes

Reaction score
Well, that's what I have! It's not ideal, but it works. It's very thin, and it dented pretty easily. 30 quarts is barely big enough, though, since I start my boil at 6.5 gallons, and boil down to 5 gallons. Still, it works.

If you are starting off with boiling less wort (some extract brewers boil only 3 gallons or so), that is kind of a big pot. What is your plan with the volume?

I was going to start off with a beginners 2.5 to 3 gallon boil. I just thought it would be handy since it came with a thermometer, but I can get one of those for cheap. Ii will probably go to Sams and get the 40qt they have.

I just bought a set at Wal-Mart that has a 16 qt, a 12 qt and a 8 qt with lids. It was only 20 bucks. I plan on getting an 8 or 10 gallon eventually with a turkey fryer but I thought that was a good deal for now.

I bought a nice 22-qt SS pot with the sandwiched bottom (or whatever it is called, to minimize scorching) at Wal-Mart a couple of weeks ago for $35.

For almost twenty bucks, you may want to look into a whole turkey fryer kit. I picked up a burner and pot for twentyfivish recently. Same pot as the one linked but with a burner.

Funkenjaeger said:
If you get yourself some foam control drops, like Fermcap-S:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/beer-additives.html
You'll have no problem doing full boils for 5-gallon batches in your 30qt pot. I've done boils with hardly a couple inches of headspace without any significant risk of boilover, making 5.5 gallon batches.
+1 on this advice. Everyone who has a 30 qt pot should try this stuff. Pure magic.

Back