is this over my head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chirs

Reaction score
This seasonal from Austin Homebrew sounds amazing...
has anyone tried it? Would this be way over my head for my second brew ever? I don't think i'm ready for all grain, but mini-mash seems like something I'd like to try.

Certainly looks like it.

I've experimented with flaked corn for partials, and they've been far easier than I expected. The only thing I wish I'd had was a floating thermometer, but if wishes were horses....

I started with a partial mash with a small amount of grains. I've upped my grains on each brew I've done. Now I'm doing "mostly-mash" instead of partial mash. Basically mashing as much grains as I have ability to boil wort from and then add a few lbs of LME to make up the difference and top up with water. It really didn't get much harder as my grain bill got bigger!

Once I was mashing more grains that I could do easily in my pasta pot, I picked up a cheap 5-gallon cooler and I mash in that. Even easier than using the pot in the oven technique I was using before.

The LME basically takes the place of base malt, so using more grain and less LME for the same recipe makes my brews less expensive to boot!

ah! Thanks ChshreCat. I bought some ingredients to do an extract version of Edwort's Haus Ale recently. The fermentables called for crystal malt...only now (from reading Papazian's book) do I realize that that's STEEPING not MASHING (am I right?).
There's a guy on craigslist in my area selling a mashing cooler. What is that "manifold" dealy for?

The manifold is the filtering apparatus in a mash tun. Some homebrewers use a stainless steel braid connected to the spigot, others like myself use pvc or copper pipes (the manifold) with slits or holes drilled in them to filter out the spent grain.

Check out the manifold design section of How to Brew - By John Palmer.

Just jump into it! Mini-mashes and AG aren't anywhere near as difficult as I made them out to be when I was doing extract.

ah! Thanks ChshreCat. I bought some ingredients to do an extract version of Edwort's Haus Ale recently. The fermentables called for crystal malt...only now (from reading Papazian's book) do I realize that that's STEEPING not MASHING (am I right?).
There's a guy on craigslist in my area selling a mashing cooler. What is that "manifold" dealy for?

Steeping is not the same as mashing.

However, they are very similar. You can mash on the stove in a grain bag just by letting the bag sit in warm water, just like in "steeping." In practice, here are the differences you need to know when mashing on the stove.

1) Temperature is more critical.

2) It takes longer. (about an hour for a mash vs 20 min for steeping grains.)

Simply put to mash you need to soak the grains in 153F water for 60 min, then rinse with 170F water.

Why?

With a mash you are converting starches to sugars, whereas with steeping your just extracting some of the flavors and sugars that are already there.

The reason the temperature is so critical is that the enzymes in the grains have an optimum working temperature. If it's too cold, the enzymes wont be activated, if it gets to hot the enzymes will be destroyed. There are two enzymes that are needed to do the job-- beta amylase and alpha amylase. Beta amylase works best at 131-150°F. Alpha amylase works best at 154-162°F. No problem right, we just do the enzymes one at a time. But this wont work. Beta needs the sugars broken down by the alpha amylase. However, if you mash at alpha's ideal range, you'll start to break down the beta amylase. If you mash at beta's ideal range you'll wont get enough alpha working. So what do we do? We split the difference and mash at 153F. It's a compromise. Neither enzyme is perfectly happy. But they'll both be able to do their job.

And you have a way of getting that volume to a rolling boil.

That's my main sticking point.

I tested my gas stove yesterday by bringing 3 gallons of water to boil in my 5 gallon stockpot. Took about 25 minutes to get to 150º and then another 40 minutes (!) to get to boiling temperature. I also had difficulty keeping a rolling boil without the lid on. I've read that actual wort (as opposed to just boiling water) adds nucleation points that promote a rolling boil...so maybe it's not as bad as it seemed.

Back