Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommyb52

Reaction score
brewing this all grain recipe right now https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/bee-cave-brewery-bavarian-hefeweizen-35679/ and have these little things floating around that look like strips of cardboard. Is this normal? Did I not vorlauf enough? Do I put a whirfloc tablet in to help clear this even though it's a Hefeweizen? Thanks.

IMG_00000092.jpg

That's coagulated proteins, the remains of a good hot break. I had some that looked even worse than that. It makes beer anyway.

Thanks for the reply, the hot break was so good it went over the pot onto the stove because I didn't keep my eye on it. I also forgot to line the stove top with tin foil to help with the clean up if such a thing should happen.

Congratulations on your boil-over! It can be a pretty big learning curve depending on your skill level and it all takes time. Keep at it and take good notes, just don't take it too serious. Relax~Don't Worry~And~HaveAHomebrew!

Back