Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can clean it and put it back on but you really should use a blow off tube. You can put a piece of racking size tubing over the center post on the airlock and put the other end in a jar or bowl of starsan. Or better yet, get a piece of cheap large diameter tubing from home depot and put it right in the carboy neck (search this forum or google images for blow off tube).

If krausen is making it into the airlock you should be using a blow off tube. I generally use a blow off tube with every batch just to be safe and then put the air lock in after about 5-6 days of fermentation when the krausen (foam) has fallen down.

that'll work but I never go to the airlock, I go to the hole in the stopper, the base of the airlock inlet is more narrow and can still clog

I cut off the "filter" (for lack of a better term) on the bottom of the airlock. I had that clog once and pop the lid on a bucket, no problems since.

Back