is this mold on my kombucha tea - pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacksnow607

Reaction score
I have a fermentation jar, Cleaned it out with apple cider vinegar and warm water before adding my tea and sugar. waited for the tea to come to room temp and added scoby with the starter liquid. followed everything by text book. its in a room temp area with little to no light hitting it. on top i have a napkin with a rubber band around it. its been 7 days and i have this greenish brown snotty thing on the side and a hazy white cloud on top of the kombucha and scoby. theres two tiny specs of greenish white on the top of the white glaze stuff too. heres some pics. is this mold? please help!
glaze.jpg

snot.jpg

Awesome i got a little worried. Thanks so much for the quick answers and is this foggy white circle forming a baby scoby?

A new scoby is formed from the mother and will grow in size until it covers the surface area of the container it is in. It looks scary as sh%t but the liquid underneath is good!

I don't see any mold. Exactly where is it supposed to be??

It was just the little round spots. Besides being round, it didn't look like mold to me. Regardless the wife is having me make another one. ..

Scobys grow at different rates. One of the reasons you use starter liquid is to drop the ph of the tea to a safe level. Just like in sauerkraut or fermented foods, once the ph drops, mold and bad bacteria generally can't grow.

Scobys grow at different rates. One of the reasons you use starter liquid is to drop the ph of the tea to a safe level. Just like in sauerkraut or fermented foods, once the ph drops, mold and bad bacteria generally can't grow.

I just tested my kombucha with my new handy pH meter and it came out at 3.0. This is the same pH level as vinegar and is fairly acidic (beer is usually in the high 4s). The interesting thing, though is it doesn't taste sour but a little sweet with some light carbonation, almost like apple juice. Amazing stuff.

Latest posts

Back