Is this mold? A rookie needs help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tati

Reaction score
uQNkw2wQ2cBrEcu02
0DnWDJmwCW1mxWj42

Hi! I'm so excited to be a part of this forum! This is the second time this scoby has grown this kind of stuff. :( First time I was advised to toss the tea, rinse off scoby, try again. I'm thinking now I need to toss scoby and start afresh. Picture gives context of where I'm keeping it. No place is very warm in our place, but closet's best :) Do I maybe need to get a warming blanket? I had two batches go well, but with different scobys.

Attachments

• IMG_20180105_062030.jpg
    IMG_20180105_062030.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 188
that could just be the initial stages of the scoby forming/growing. every time you start a new batch a new scoby will grow. give it a few days and see.

and yes, i would use a warmer especially this time of year. i have a continuous brew setup and use a seedling warmer wrapped around my crock...

The scoby is definitely forming but the growth on top of the water is concerning. Scoby usually forms in masses not scattered in tiny bits on top of the water.

I can help diagnose this if you could provide a relative temperature and if you could possibly pH it that would help alot as well.
If I were you I'd do what Ralph says and observe it- even for experience sake. I've grown more scoby's then I could count but I've never seen a growth like that before.

Rinsing off the scoby for future reference will not fix the problem- simply allow it to happen again. Spores of many mildews and bacteria's are hardy and can withstand greater temps then Scoby's or cultures inside your brew. PH it and you most likely will be able to diagnose this yourself, but I will be here if you need any help in the future.
Best of luck
Wizard works

Back