Kombucha SCOBY changed over time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyndsayhall

Reaction score
So I’ve been brewing my own kombucha for several years now. I am notorious for forgetting about a batch here and there and ending up with vinegar. Over the last several months I have noticed a different kind of taste happening. It is subtle but kinda bitterish on the back of my tongue. Not like just when it goes vinegary. A “different” kind of fermenty flavor as well. Still drinkable but not the beloved homemade kombucha I am used to. I even went and bought a store bought kombucha to try to “start over” with a different kombucha base to my recipe but no luck. Then this last time I again left it too long for my liking but it didn’t taste vinegary so i decided to keep it. As I poured into bottles it foamed up like beer. 😳. Is it possible that my SCOBY bacteria is off kilter and I just make kombucha beer by accident. It has been a slow gradual change to the flavor over time. No mold, no nothing that indicates a real problem. But I’m thinking the actual fermenting bacteria and yeast has changed over time and that would explain the gradual shift in flavor as well. And if so. Do you think there is any fix? Or I’m stuck starting over with a new SCOBY? Even the SCOBY it produces is nice and happy and healthy looking? Thx.

So I’ve been brewing my own kombucha for several years now. I am notorious for forgetting about a batch here and there and ending up with vinegar. Over the last several months I have noticed a different kind of taste happening. It is subtle but kinda bitterish on the back of my tongue. Not like just when it goes vinegary. A “different” kind of fermenty flavor as well. Still drinkable but not the beloved homemade kombucha I am used to. I even went and bought a store bought kombucha to try to “start over” with a different kombucha base to my recipe but no luck. Then this last time I again left it too long for my liking but it didn’t taste vinegary so i decided to keep it. As I poured into bottles it foamed up like beer. 😳. Is it possible that my SCOBY bacteria is off kilter and I just make kombucha beer by accident. It has been a slow gradual change to the flavor over time. No mold, no nothing that indicates a real problem. But I’m thinking the actual fermenting bacteria and yeast has changed over time and that would explain the gradual shift in flavor as well. And if so. Do you think there is any fix? Or I’m stuck starting over with a new SCOBY? Even the SCOBY it produces is nice and happy and healthy looking? Thx.
I should also clarify. It is t the same EXACT SCOBY I am using. I usually use the new SCOBY created from the previous batch.

Latest posts

Back