Is this legal??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correction, I dont know if it's legal in mass, only that I've seen it done many many times. Usually a new beer a bar has on tap or in bottle and has women in very little clothing passing it out. And Mass has some of the strictest beer laws (no such thing has happy hour here), and I doubt bars in downtown Boston want to break the law. And it's usually crap beer.

Correction, I dont know if it's legal in mass, only that I've seen it done many many times. Usually a new beer a bar has on tap or in bottle and has women in very little clothing passing it out. And Mass has some of the strictest beer laws (no such thing has happy hour here), and I doubt bars in downtown Boston want to break the law. And it's usually crap beer.

I have seen this done also its legal because the beer comes from a licensed brewery and they pay the tax on it per barrel.I have been to places where they have a all tap beers next 5 minutes free but usually crappy selection

Here the bars do what is called buy backs . After x amount of beers/drinks the next is on the house.

In CO there are places that tap a keg and beers are free off that keg till it's gone.

Yeah, you would need a Brewery License in Oregon, to the tune of 500 bucks a year.

Colorado is the only state that I know of that allows homebrew in licensed premises.
It's the law that MI homebrewers are trying to get passed.

www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/government-affairs/statutes/colorado. The relevant text is:

(d) Malt liquors produced pursuant to this subsection (2) may be
transported and delivered by the producer to any licensed premise where
consumption by persons over the age of twenty-one is authorized for use
at organized affairs,
exhibitions, or competitions, such as home brew
contests, tastings, or judgings. Consumption shall be limited solely to
the participants in and judges of such events. Malt liquors used for the
purposes described in this paragraph (d) shall be served in portions not
exceeding six ounces and shall not be sold
, offered for sale, or made
available for consumption by the general public.

We elected, in AZ, not to go this route because our federal exemption is written differently. We did not want to put that clause at risk, We are currently negotiating with the DLLC on allowing a bar to suspend it's license in a given area. We had a dry run on Tuesday, but the DLLC failed to return our call, so we couldn't test the matter.

A good chunk of the work has been done by Andy Ingram of Four Peaks, so you Zonies raise a glass to him next time you're in the Valley.

He's doing this for homebrewers. It's really not going to help his bottom line at all.

Back