Is this just yeast being yeast, or do I kill it with fire...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stilgar

Reaction score
I'm doing a bit more brewing than I'm used to at the moment with beer. My sister has a wedding coming toward the end of November and wants me to brew some stuff for it. So I have two 10 gallon batches going. I recently moved over one of these batches into 2 five gallon containers ( I also did this because fruit flies are in mass this year so felt it'd be better protected) Any how I transferred over all to both containers and I checked this morning there was something floating around in one. I wasn't sure if it was just yeast being yeast, left over trub from the brew(This was extract btw) I suspected yeast only because this thing after a full week of bubbling slowed down to maybe a single bubble every 6-8 hours, give or take. After moving it over I noticed it's still carrying that tradition. The yeast was a german 1007 wyeast. Here's a picture of the thing as best I could get sorry if not entirely clear. It isn't stringy, just looks like a bunched up booger mass floating a bit below the surface.

End that thing before you or it forms some kind of weird emotional bond!

(Only joking, I have no idea if that's normal or not. Still kinda scary though.)

Looks like a years raft to me. It was probably released from the trub when the carbon was moved and is floating on CO2. Kyle

Even if you think it's something bad, the smart money is on not dumping the batch. Unless your cat horks a hairball in it, it's worth bottling/kegging it and seeing how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bottle it and send it to me and I'll light it on fire for you.

Latest posts

Back