Is this IPA hop schedule overcomplicated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calypso

Reaction score
I haven't made a lot of IPAs, though I do understand some of the nuances of hop contributions at different times. I tend toward simple, but I'm trying to (vaguely) replicate a delicious IPA from Witch's Hat Brewery (Train Hopper, for those playing along at home).

Toward that end, is this a reasonable schedule, or am I making more work for myself and can simplify it somehow?

Assuming 5 gallons...
1 oz Chinook FWH
1 oz Cascade 60m
1 oz Cascade 10m
1 oz Centennial 10m
1 oz Centennial 0m
1 oz Citra 0m
1 oz Citra Dry Hop (7 days)
1 oz Chinook Dry Hop (7 days)
2 oz Centennial Dry Hop (7 days)

Alternate view...
FWH: Chinook (1oz)
60: Cascade (1oz)
10: Cascade (1oz), Centennial (1oz)
0: Centennial (1oz), Citra (1oz)
Dry Hop: Centennial (2oz), Chinook (1oz), Citra (1oz)

The only comment I'd make is that your 60 minute cascade addition is a waste, you'll lose all their flavor after a sixty minute boil. Rather, maybe more Chinook there to get your desired IBUs or something clean and high alpha like nugget or Columbus.

Also, I think several people on here would say move all the other additions to flame out.

Should be a good recipe!

If you moved a centennial addition to a 60 minute addition, you could use less hops for the same IBUs at 60 minutes which leaves 1 oz cascade and some centennial for more late additions for flavor and aroma. Just a thought.

I am a firm believer that additions throughout the boil make for a deeper (for lack of better words) hop profile both in flavour and aroma.
I do an all cascade with additions at 60,40,20 and 0. Much better than just 60 and flameout.
Give it a try, either way it'll be a fine brew

Thanks for the input guys! I like the idea of moving some of the Centennial to 60m and the Cascade to 0m, but I'm a little concerned that Cascade at 10m and at 0m is going to be overwhelming (I find a little Cascade goes a long way). Or am I worrying over nothing?

Thanks for the input guys! I like the idea of moving some of the Centennial to 60m and the Cascade to 0m, but I'm a little concerned that Cascade at 10m and at 0m is going to be overwhelming (I find a little Cascade goes a long way). Or am I worrying over nothing?

Cascade is not as "intense" as chinook or centennial, and I find that citra is much more dominant so my thought is that the cascade would not be overwhelming at all.

With the FWH of chinook, that's plenty of bittering (you don't need the centennial there either), and adding more to the late hops will bring more hops flavor and aroma to the forefront.

Okay, great! That's the kind of simplification I like. So Chinook FWH for bittering, then everything else at 10m, 0m, or dry hopped. I definitely want it to have a big, fresh hop smell with a flavor to match, so I'm all for more late hop additions.

Back