Is This Beer Infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you like wild/brett beers it may be worth holding onto for a few months if you don't need the fermentor. You'll have to taste it (I assure you it's completely safe). Make sure you have a stable gravity for about a month if you plan to bottle. I'm not sure what kind of beer you were making, but if you didn't intentionally "infect" it with a known strain, it's hard to say if it will be any good. Only way to find out is to taste it.

Most of the "is it infected?" posts are not infected, but this one definitely is. Great photo.

At this point all you can do is taste it and see how it tastes. If it tastes good then give it more time to make sure that gravity is stable.

If you like wild/brett beers it may be worth holding onto for a few months if you don't need the fermentor. You'll have to taste it (I assure you it's completely safe). Make sure you have a stable gravity for about a month if you plan to bottle. I'm not sure what kind of beer you were making, but if you didn't intentionally "infect" it with a known strain, it's hard to say if it will be any good. Only way to find out is to taste it.

Its a nut brown ale with Danstar Nottingham Ale yeast. I've never had an infection, probably have made 10-15 beers. But I also usually only ferment for 6 weeks, not 12. Would you be able to tell me more on how I should go about still using the beer? I don't want to waste it if I don't have to lol. Thanks for the time by the way.

Use DrKnow's advice if you want to keep it. Let it completely ferment out, checking by hydrometer for several days. Then bottle as usual. I did this once, didn't care for it but that's my own taste.

I would add from personal experience to really clean everything well that touched the beer after boiling, or you'll see this again soon. I use bleach and then wash/rinse everything well and air dry.

Finally an infected "Is it infected" post.

Who knows what it is? How long has it been going. What yeast did you use?

You have a couple of options. First you need to taste it. It will not hurt you. If it tastes fine, you then have to choose what to do. If it tastes awful, then it s a dumper - you can't improve crap. It may or may not have sour notes, these can actually complement a beer, especially a brown ala. If it is an obviously vinegar sourness (versus a yogurt sourness), it is gone.

What can you do:

1) Bottle, wait a few weeks and check carbonation in a bottle If carbonation is fine, move bottles to a fridge and drink fairly quickly. The cold will slow (or maybe even stop) what is going on in the bottles. You could try heat pasteurization (I wouldn't), and you can find information on that in the cider forum.

2) Leave it in a fermenter for the long haul. Maybe 12 months. I would suggest moving it to a glass carboy if you plan to do that.

Whatever you do, soak everything in a mild bleach solution (1 tablespoon to a gallon) for a few days Then rinse out with HOT water (cold water will leave a bleach film on the surface).

Good luck.

12 months in a plastic bucket is a long time for beer to be in a bucket. Definately bleach bomb that bucket and make sure to clean that the infected beer came in contact with.

Finally an infected "Is it infected" post.

Who knows what it is? How long has it been going. What yeast did you use?

You have a couple of options. First you need to taste it. It will not hurt you. If it tastes fine, you then have to choose what to do. If it tastes awful, then it s a dumper - you can't improve crap. It may or may not have sour notes, these can actually complement a beer, especially a brown ala. If it is an obviously vinegar sourness (versus a yogurt sourness), it is gone.

What can you do:

1) Bottle, wait a few weeks and check carbonation in a bottle If carbonation is fine, move bottles to a fridge and drink fairly quickly. The cold will slow (or maybe even stop) what is going on in the bottles. You could try heat pasteurization (I wouldn't), and you can find information on that in the cider forum.

2) Leave it in a fermenter for the long haul. Maybe 12 months. I would suggest moving it to a glass carboy if you plan to do that.

Whatever you do, soak everything in a mild bleach solution (1 tablespoon to a gallon) for a few days Then rinse out with HOT water (cold water will leave a bleach film on the surface).

Good luck.

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to do just that. If it taste salvageable I'm going to bottle, if not I'm going to dump it.

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to do just that. If it taste salvageable I'm going to bottle, if not I'm going to dump it.

If its only been 12 weeks, don't bottle it (or if you do, prepare to drink it sooner than later). Really, as long as it doesn't taste like vinegar or nail polish remover, you may be able to salvage it (assuming you like sour/funky beer). If you do, you can find a few commercial examples that have live yeast and bacteria and pitch them in there (Bonus: beer to drink). You can find a list of those here (http://www.themadfermentationist.com/p/dreg-list.html). Be sure and check gravities a month apart before bottling, especially if the beer is above 1.005.

Good luck.

Back