Got my first infection.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailingeric

Beer. Now there's a temporary solution
HBT Supporter
Joined
Oct 30, 2014
Messages
2,520
Reaction score
4,510
Location
Aloha, Oregon
Went to go and keg a German-ish lager and it was infected. My ferm chamber/ cheap chest freezer in my shed died but it has been cool enough that I just wrapped a heater around it to keep it at 54° and did not need it for cooling. I did leave the lid if my freezer open so it would not get too warm
20240409_130459.jpg
and it looked like flies got under my not so sealed lid and caused the infection. I have always just laid my bucket lids on top and never worried about an air tight seal but I guess having the lid if the freezer down would have saved me.
 
Not the usual infection either. This one has some powdery greenish gray looking mold that I'd be leery of since I'm not a mold expert.

Usually for infected beers, it's only wild yeast or somewhat harmless bacteria. Those, I'd taste to see what it was like. But with that mold in there, I'd likely just sound taps on a bugle and dump it.
 
Not the usual infection either. This one has some powdery greenish gray looking mold that I'd be leery of since I'm not a mold expert.

Usually for infected beers, it's only wild yeast or somewhat harmless bacteria. Those, I'd taste to see what it was like. But with that mold in there, I'd likely just sound taps on a bugle and dump it.
Yep, that is what I did.
 
A new bucket is cheaper than another lost batch.
Although that's true, not sure it's needed.
Good cleaning and bleach bombing that bucket and lid should kill and remove the mold spores. Pay special attention to cleaning the lid's groove well too.

After cleaning and a bleach treatment, exposing the inside of the bucket and bottom of the lid to direct (bright) sunlight for a a day (or 2) may help to eradicate whatever is left.
 
Not the usual infection either. This one has some powdery greenish gray looking mold that I'd be leery of since I'm not a mold expert.

Usually for infected beers, it's only wild yeast or somewhat harmless bacteria. Those, I'd taste to see what it was like. But with that mold in there, I'd likely just sound taps on a bugle and dump it.

mold and yeast are both fungi. mold requires O2, yeast does not - so there's one reason to use a proper airlock. the most common household mold seems to be the blue cheese mold, penicillium roqueforti. it is what you see on moldy bread. i'm no expert, but have lots of experience lol
 
mold and yeast are both fungi. mold requires O2, yeast does not - so there's one reason to use a proper airlock. the most common household mold seems to be the blue cheese mold, penicillium roqueforti. it is what you see on moldy bread. i'm no expert, but have lots of experience lol
I thought that might be some strain of penicillium. Which probably is harmless. But still, for my layperson eyes, that's still a toss out. Though I have in my much younger days eaten bread with that same looking color of mold on it. (As best as can be seen in a picture which may not reproduce colors accurately)

And Roquefort cheese too. Very tasty stuff for salad dressing and for topper on a cracker.
 
mold and yeast are both fungi. mold requires O2, yeast does not - so there's one reason to use a proper airlock. the most common household mold seems to be the blue cheese mold, penicillium roqueforti. it is what you see on moldy bread. i'm no expert, but have lots of experience lol
I've never had mold grow on fermenting beer. Would you simply scoop off the moldy patches, and taste a sample of the beer?
Based on the taste test, decide to keep or toss?
 
I've never had mold grow on fermenting beer. Would you simply scoop off the moldy patches, and taste a sample of the beer?
Based on the taste test, decide to keep or toss?
i'm 100% certain it's safe to eat. you'd be surprised the edibles I create here at casa de pawn that look far worse than that beer.

so yes, just give it a taste. it's possible that the mold has had no effect on the flavor the way that bacteria would. if that's the case, and the OP can get his mind to forgot the image above, i'd just keg and serve. i would not bottle - i've had my day dressed like an army explosive ordinance disposal guy when disposing of bottle bombs and i'd like to avoid that forever.
 
i'm 100% certain it's safe to eat. you'd be surprised the edibles I create here at casa de pawn that look far worse than that beer.
But those edibles are intentionally inoculated with known spores.

These patches are from stray spores in the household, of unknown origin. Who knows where they've come from? Like the bottom of shoes, air ducts, etc.
 
Still, it won't be harmful if O2 was present.
Because that makes all the difference? I didn't know that.

As you suggest, stray spores are a part of the air we breath all day long.
Yes, they are. Mostly single spores and perhaps even small clusters.
It's when those I'm unfamiliar with have unintentionally and unexpectedly grown into larger colonies I'm not that confident (yet).

I'm not feeble or easily grossed out and often eat and drink what many (most?) people won't even consider.

But I do have respect for microbiology, especially where it's gone rampant.
 
I think it's best to steer clear of uknown molds. e.g. https://www.fsis.usda.gov/food-safe...d-safety-basics/molds-food-are-they-dangerous

I don't believe mycotoxins necessarily taste bad, and the results can be acute (trips to the restroom) or chronic (trips to the oncologist). It's one of those unknowns that you have to decide on an acceptable level of risk, but moldy beer is on the dump-it side of the line for me.

Re the bucket, I guess even if the mold has impregnated the plastic, it probably can't grow in properly sealed beer.
 
You can probably... i HATE that word... sanitize the bucket enough to use again. If there are any nooks or crannies you.don't get clean, goodbye future batch... if you don't get every bit around the rim, goodbye batch... on the other hand,.you can let it soak in strong clorox.water for a few days and hope for the best. I'm an ogre... I'd scrub it really good, soak it in clorox water a few days, and use it again.
 
You can probably... i HATE that word... sanitize the bucket enough to use again. If there are any nooks or crannies you.don't get clean, goodbye future batch... if you don't get every bit around the rim, goodbye batch... on the other hand,.you can let it soak in strong clorox.water for a few days and hope for the best. I'm an ogre... I'd scrub it really good, soak it in clorox water a few days, and use it again.
I have it soaking but it is an older bucket so it might be time get a new one anyways.
 
A friend once gave me a keg of porter he didn't like, he thought it needed more time in secondary. Since he needed his keg I racked it to a 7 gallon carboy, and within 2 days the infection was obvious. Within a week big gray, fuzzy bubbles grew all the way to the bottom of the airlock. AI left it alone and after a month I kegged it and enjoyed a truly amazing sour porter. I'm for leaving it and tasting it before you take drastic action.
 
☹️ the mold is a deal breaker for letting it ride for a sour something… heavy duty cleaning for that bucket or just replace it unless it’s newish. Heavy duty sanitizer too once with starsan and once with iodine. The iodine will stain any biofilm left behind letting you know if it needs to be cleaned again.
 
I did not taste it. I should have, but the floating flies might have added an earthiness I was not going for.🤣
Disappointed.

I've had beers go south, lets say 5 times, and every time it was a dumper (though, somebody else might have said that's a good sour LOL.

But I tried it, at least.
 
Ugh. Speaking of "nuke it from orbit", this thread is pretty much there.
I've heard about that maggot infested "cheese". So gross! I can't imagine the mental gymnastics that gets someone to indulge 😳
 
Back
Top