Is this an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diarmuidm77

Reaction score
Hi. I am new to brewing. This being my first time. I opened up my fermentor to bottle my beer and it has this white spots on it. I am wondering if it is safe to bottle or if it is infected? I have attached the picture. What do you think?

Attachments

• 15929139237715768595752709062458.jpg
    15929139237715768595752709062458.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 190
I get that with some English yeasts like 1469. My last one had these bubbles with what looked like a film,but the beer tastes great. Take a sample. How long was primary? If I rack at 14 days with 1469 I'm still poking thru the krausen with the thief and cane. At 21 days I see what you're looking at.

Taste it and see if there are any hints of off-flavors.
You're probably fine, infections don't necessarily make it bad to bottle.
I would keep a bit closer eye on this batch than normal.
OPen one a bit sooner than a normal conditioning, again look for any off flavors.
If it does appear, you can choose to dump or to keep then in the fridge.

I get that with some English yeasts like 1469. My last one had these bubbles with what looked like a film,but the beer tastes great. Take a sample. How long was primary? If I rack at 14 days with 1469 I'm still poking thru the krausen with the thief and cane. At 21 days I see what you're looking at.
I only had it in the primary for just over two weeks and then bottled. It said in the instructions that it did not need to be moved to a secondary. But it hit the gravity I needed last week but I was working so had to wait until I was off to bottle it? Do you think it would still be safe? It tasted bitter but smells really good? I used an safale us-05 dry ale yeast.

Taste it and see if there are any hints of off-flavors.
You're probably fine, infections don't necessarily make it bad to bottle.
I would keep a bit closer eye on this batch than normal.
OPen one a bit sooner than a normal conditioning, again look for any off flavors.
If it does appear, you can choose to dump or to keep then in the fridge.
I tasted it. It tastes bitter but smells really good. I have gone and bottled it anyway. And have put it in a dark room at room temperature for the next two weeks. Before I will out them in the fridge or is that needed?

Chances are it's gonna be fine.
Just keep an eye on it and try one after 1 and again after 2 weeks. If it's overly carbonated or you get a gusher you know something is working in there. If it tastes good otherwise, refrigerate all, drink em fast, and handle with care.

Chances are it's gonna be fine.
Just keep an eye on it and try one after 1 and again after 2 weeks. If it's overly carbonated or you get a gusher you know something is working in there. If it tastes good otherwise, refrigerate all, drink em fast, and handle with care.
Thanks I will do that. Appreciate the help

This is a must lol! All bad if you dont and you get a gusher . You'll be in the dog house .
That is the last thing I want especially when I have them stored in the bed room. The missus would shoot me 😂😂. I will make sure to.do it over the sink. Thanks to ye all for the help.

This is a must lol! All bad if you dont and you get a gusher . You'll be in the dog house .
Not many things will test a marriage like having a 22 ounce bomber empty itself in a spectacular show the Bellagio would be jealous of all over the carpet that was installed less than a month prior. Especially considering part of the reason (not the only but it sped things up) the carpet needed to be changed was the 14 bottle bomb salute (yes 14 went off within minutes of each other) that occurred at 3AM just a few short weeks earlier.

Even now almost a decade after my goofy exploits my wife still looks at me sideways any time something bottled and home made comes into my house. All my laboratory crazy experiments happen outside in an 8x6 shed with no A/C in south Florida because I'm a dumb@$$. She was actually the one who pushed me to start kegging. That is until a poppet failed and bled about 4 gallon of beer into the keezer, which in turn slow leaked beer all over the floor. The tile floor this time. I caught it before all 4 gallons leaked out.

My goodness my wife really is a patient woman.

Not many things will test a marriage like having a 22 ounce bomber empty itself in a spectacular show the Bellagio would be jealous of all over the carpet that was installed less than a month prior. Especially considering part of the reason (not the only but it sped things up) the carpet needed to be changed was the 14 bottle bomb salute (yes 14 went off within minutes of each other) that occurred at 3AM just a few short weeks earlier.

Even now almost a decade after my goofy exploits my wife still looks at me sideways any time something bottled and home made comes into my house. All my laboratory crazy experiments happen outside in an 8x6 shed with no A/C in south Florida because I'm a dumb@$$. She was actually the one who pushed me to start kegging. That is until a poppet failed and bled about 4 gallon of beer into the keezer, which in turn slow leaked beer all over the floor. The tile floor this time. I caught it before all 4 gallons leaked out.

Sorry but I'm laughing at this post . I can imagine your wife glaring at you as you type this out lol. My wife would have flipped as well haha.

That is the last thing I want especially when I have them stored in the bed room. The missus would shoot me 😂😂. I will make sure to.do it over the sink. Thanks to ye all for the help.
Put them in something that could contain any potential exploding bottles. Being woken up by flying glass shards sounds worse than a gushing bottle making a bit of a mess

Put them in something that could contain any potential exploding bottles. Being woken up by flying glass shards sounds worse than a gushing bottle making a bit of a mess
Ya I have them in boxes and in the wardrobe. But thanks for the tip

LOL. I've only once or twice had to mop the ceiling. Never fun when that happens. I've had some gushers along the way, but mostly commercial brews trying Brett seers without really knowing what they're doing. (and occasional bad batches from same.)

Ya I have them in boxes and in the wardrobe. But thanks for the tip
Smart guy!
Stick a plastic tub, a tray, or something else impervious that can hold a good amount of liquid underneath them. Just in case.

Keep us posted!
We're always curious to hear how things turned out, either way, if it turned out good or was indeed infected.

My 52 year old eyes aren't great, but I squinted good and all I saw in your pic was some yeast rafts. What is making you think it might be a pellicle? Looked fine to me, I think you'll be good. If you have a strong stomach, google "infected beer" and be prepared for some grossness.

Smart guy!
Stick a plastic tub, a tray, or something else impervious that can hold a good amount of liquid underneath them. Just in case.

Keep us posted!
We're always curious to hear how things turned out, either way, if it turned out good or was indeed infected.
I will put a washing basket underneath them. Just won't tell the missus were it has gone too haha. And thanks for all the help again. 100% I will let ye know how it goes.

My 52 year old eyes aren't great, but I squinted good and all I saw in your pic was some yeast rafts. What is making you think it might be a pellicle? Looked fine to me, I think you'll be good. If you have a strong stomach, google "infected beer" and be prepared for some grossness.
Ya I goggled some infected beer and was alot worse looking then mine. Well I hope you are right and it is just yeast rafts. The beer smells great anyway so I will take that as a good enough sign. Thats for the post I really do appreciate it

Small white patches scattered across the surface is often how a pellicle begins to form.

I agree with all the above posters that's what it is. Lots of good advice on this thread.

Cheers

Small white patches scattered across the surface is often how a pellicle begins to form.

I agree with all the above posters that's what it is. Lots of good advice on this thread.

Cheers
Sure I will just have to wait and see how it goes now and let ye know what happens. All I know i have learnt a lot from my 1st ever brew and def made some mistakes. But I will give it another go after this batch. Thanks again for the post

A little off-topic, but when my fiancee and I just moved into our last apartment I brewed a high gravity saison and put about 6.25 gallons in a 7 gallon bucket and set it in the livingroom corner. Fermentation took off like a rocket while we were both at work and I came home to find Krausen plastered up both walls, on the ceiling and spilled over onto the new carpet. I tried my best to clean up before she got home but was not successful. Not only did she laugh about it but SHE HELPED ME CLEAN IT UP! We lost our security deposit because of that and she still laughed about it...and let me continue brewing. Blowoff tube every batch since then. Cheers!

Last edited:
Having brewed sour beer for a decade and intentionally tried to form pellcles that does not look like the start of one.

What you are more likely seeing are just large bubbles of CO2 from the tail end of fermentation caught between the foam stability compounds in beer (what makes beer foam linger in your glass) and a thin layer of oils (from hops, etc.) forming surface tension. You'll see this happen with a lot of beers at the end of fermentation. It isn't good or bad, it's just something that happens.

Having brewed sour beer for a decade and intentionally tried to form pellcles that does not look like the start of one.

What you are more likely seeing are just large bubbles of CO2 from the tail end of fermentation caught between the foam stability compounds in beer (what makes beer foam linger in your glass) and a thin layer of oils (from hops, etc.) forming surface tension. You'll see this happen with a lot of beers at the end of fermentation. It isn't good or bad, it's just something that happens.
Thanks man. I have them all bottled now and once I try my 1st one in about week and half. I will let you know what they are like. But thanks for the post. I appreciate all the replies

Your experience differs from mine. As you know, I also brew lots of sour beer and always in a clear fermenter so I can see the progress. I frequently see my pellicles begin to form with small white patches scattered across the surface.
Pellicles don't all start the same way or look the same.

Here's an example of a beer pitched with Wyeast Belgian Lambic Blend:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/what-is-this-on-top-of-my-beer.666037/I ran a little test to see what people would say it was, and unsurprisingly 90% were incorrect. There are some bubble rafts in the photo in addition to the white patches, which probably threw some people off.
I can show you the beer now if you like; it's still in the fermenter. :)

Your experience differs from mine. As you know, I also brew lots of sour beer and always in a clear fermenter so I can see the progress. I frequently see my pellicles begin to form with small white patches scattered across the surface.
Pellicles don't all start the same way or look the same.

Here's an example of a beer pitched with Wyeast Belgian Lambic Blend:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/what-is-this-on-top-of-my-beer.666037/I ran a little test to see what people would say it was, and unsurprisingly 90% were incorrect. There are some bubble rafts in the photo in addition to the white patches, which probably threw some people off.
I can show you the beer now if you like; it's still in the fermenter. :)
So what do you think it is in your opinion? Wild yeasts/bacteria infection?

And sorry if I am being bit annoying but I am guessing it is still drinkable. Or is there anything I can do to help it?

Yup its pellicle, I've had it in one of my meads before . I just racked under the top layer then added sulfite and sorbate then placed in the fridge . Everything has been fine . Beer may be a different story as I've never had an issue with my beer . I've seen lots of posts saying it it tastes good then enjoy it now not later.

Yup its pellicle, I've had it in one of my meads before . I just racked under the top layer then added sulfite and sorbate then placed in the fridge . Everything has been fine . Beer may be a different story as I've never had an issue with my beer . I've seen lots of posts saying it it tastes good then enjoy it now not later.
Perfect I will drink it anyway. And hope for.the best. It is my birthday in week so I have a good excuse to drink.them. thanks for the help

You'll know rite away in a bottle. After they're done conditioning infected bottles will get a ring around the neck at fill line. Mine were still good to drink for about 3 weeks then used for cooking.

You'll know rite away in a bottle. After they're done conditioning infected bottles will get a ring around the neck at fill line. Mine were still good to drink for about 3 weeks then used for cooking.
Thanks I appreciate it. I Will keep an eye out for it.

Back